Author Topic: Where to cut/notch '67 carpet  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Angela

Where to cut/notch '67 carpet
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:16:31 PM »
Since I don't have any original carpet to use as a template, I thought I'd ask for any pictures, measurements or general guidelines folks may have concerning where to trim reproduction carpet so that it fits better.

At time = 5:24 within the following video you can see two cut-outs in this original '67 carpet and I don't know what these cut-outs are for. It looks like the passenger side, front, but I'm not sure.

I wouldn't endorse the above video, but I the above-mentioned cut-outs caught my attention and thought maybe other people could further comment on where such cutting is required of repro carpet.

Offline Angela

Re: Where to cut/notch '67 carpet
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 06:47:18 PM »
What, if any, differences exist between carpeting for '67 and '68? I might have a lead on a 68 carpet which I could use as a template but the person who has it was concerned it's different than '67 and I'm not familiar with what would be different.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 07:00:54 PM »
At time = 5:24 within the following video you can see two cut-outs in this original '67 carpet and I don't know what these cut-outs are for. It looks like the passenger side, front, but I'm not sure.

That is the drivers side carpeting and the cut-outs are for the column and I believe the gas pedal. I just did these a couple months ago on my Coupe
I did have an original (67 Cougar) front carpeting in my car so I had the "template" of that carpeting to use.
The non-mass backed carpeting is what I used, it had much trimming involved. The Coupe had a different finish around the rear seat trim than what you are dealing with. Mine had a vinyl edge where it meets up to the 1/4 trim and it doesn't come on the replacement carpeting either, leaving me to have it sewn back on. I will be taking my rear carpeting to an upholstery shop, just down the road to accomplish this, once I make that final cut-in. I only did a basic test fit with the seats, seat belts so far. I am waiting on the dimmer switch and final trim till after I steam the wrinkling and such fully out. I can appreciate that the mass-back carpeting might be easier, but as for me, I like the original type better because it feels more like the right stuff going in. There is a bit of work, but patience is the key. They seem to give you enough material, they just didn't "finish" the job right, like the OE stuff was.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:22:21 PM »
That is the drivers side carpeting and the cut-outs are for the column and I believe the gas pedal. ............

+1 :)

Be sure that once you get the carpet check it right away (don't let it sit around for months or more :(   to see if the nap is traveling in the right/original direction and straight across the car (not at an angle :(
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Angela

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:35:35 AM »
Thanks guys! Do you know if there are differences between the 67 and 68 carpets?