Author Topic: Horns  (Read 4259 times)

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
Horns
« on: September 09, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »
Anyone have any steps that they have followed with success for getting the old horns to work (short of opening them up for a rebuild)? The original ones for the coupe that I have about finished just do not seem to want to work.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Horns
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »
i have had some success filling them with WD-40 & letting them soak a day or two.
5F09C331248

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »
Mustang Times had a nice article about rebuilding horns:

http://mustangtimes.net/24-5/pg28-30.pdf
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
Mid,

Nice article. When was it published? It is a shame they did not list the source of their rebuild kits. I googled horn rebuild kits and have not come up with anything thus far.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline Ivygreen65

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
Pete,

I think these are the correct rebuild kits:
http://corvette-parts.zip-corvette.com/search?w=horn rebuild&year=
It's from a corvette site, but I believe the rebuild kit is the same.

If you need a rebuilder, I have heard a lot of favorable reviews about Gary Steinkellner
http://www.classiccarhorns.com/

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
Mid,

Nice article. When was it published? It is a shame they did not list the source of their rebuild kits. I googled horn rebuild kits and have not come up with anything thus far.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Vol. 24, No. 5 should be May, 2000.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline e093116

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:57:55 PM »
I rebuilt my original 65 horns over the weekend with the kit from Zip Corvette.

When voltage is provided to the horn, a small coil is energized which pulls in the plunger on the diaphragm.  This movement also causes the switch to open and the plunger to reverse due to a small shoulder on the plunger that operates the switch as it is pulled in/out.  It is this switch cycling and plunger movement that makes the diaphragm vibrate and create the sound produced by the horn. I found that the plunger on the diaphragms provided in the kit was a little bit longer than the original and when assembled caused the contact switch to always stay in the open position, thus rendering the horn inoperative. 

For one horn, I created a duplicate gasket out of cork, which with the additional thickness took the preload off the switch and let the switch be in the normally closed position thus allowing the horn to produce sound.  For the second horn, I thought the original diaphragm sounded better/louder than the replacement from the kit, so I reused the original and did not have to make the shim.

The main reason my horns did not work was that the contact switch was heavily corroded.  Both horns read open circuit prior to disassembly with a Fluke 87 DVM.  I did not like the file that came with the kit and instead media blasted the contacts.  After blasting, I was able to obtain a reading of 0.8 to 1.0 ohms, which I concluded was the resistance of the small coil.

I did not do any media blasting on the original diaphragm that I reused.  I did not want to warp it or do anything to alter the tone it would produce.  I did do some light cleaning with a scotch brite hand pad.  Reusing original diaphragms might not always be possible though depending on how corroded the diaphragms are in the cores being rebuilt.

If you want to get really picky, the rivets provided in the kit were a bit too long.  For the hardcore concours restorer, one would want to trim the rivets a bit and create a waffle pattern die for crimping.  I had about 3 hours in this job and to go that next step would have doubled or tripled the time required.  I was just happy to have original horns that are riveted together instead of the screwed together reproductions.  I was able to tune the horns to C and F by using the adjustment screw on the horn and a guitar tuner, so when activated together the horns actually sound good.

Here is a picture where you can see the corroded switch (green colored area).  When you take the screw out of the horn to spray WD40 or some type of contact cleaner, the switch is spring loaded closed.  For best results, I would try to stick a very small pin in the screw hole and force the contacts open, then spray the cleaner.  This way the cleaner will have the best chance of getting on the switch contact surfaces and actually doing something.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 06:59:46 PM by e093116 »
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 07:04:34 PM »
great info there.....i have several lying around. might give it a try.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 08:17:49 PM »
Wonder what soaking horns in evaporust would do?!
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »
Wonder what soaking horns in evaporust would do?!

It removed the rust, but the problem lies in the points and the spring steel that the points are mounted on. Also, it is quite hard to get all of the evapo-rust out of the electrical side of the horn without disassembling it.

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:21 AM »
I tried the link listed above to Zip Corvette and it did not work. With a little searching I found these at ZIP Corvette site:

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/product/view/id/13742/s/64-75-horn-repair-refinish-kit/

I assume this is the kit being used? Can anybody confirm?

I follow Marcus Anghel on Facebook and he mentioned a new article about CJ horns and identifying them, it reminded me I needed to get mine working also. I had been successful in the past of rebuilding horns using nut/bolt technique and simply filing the points, making a gasket from an old USELESS Pittsburgh Steelers schedule (useless because nobody in my house cares about the Steelers~  ;D) Before refurbishing those horns using the "Steelers gasket, the horns didn't even "click" or "arc". NOW, I can say those horns REALLY "BLOW"!  ;D

Seriously now...I needed at least to find a source of the rivets and a correct process of crimping or staking the OE style rivets. This post in Concours Forum seems to have answered my questions, I just need a confirmation since the Zip Corvette site had two refurbish kits listed, one for 63 & older Corvettes and the one I mentioned above, 64-up Corvettes.

PS: I just LOVE the search feature of this forum, makes life a lot easier to not reinvent the wheel  8)
The discussion I needed answers from had already been posted  ::)  ;) NICE! Great forum!

Richard.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline tobkob

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »
That's the kit I used on my '69 horns. I have a friend who made some tools to put the waffle pattern on ball joint rivets and one of these was a perfect match for the horn rivets. I also found an article on rebuilding the corvette horns, link on the same page. TOB
1969 (04/07/69) GT350 owned since 1970. Only owner since Hertz.