Author Topic: Drive shaft color - July 64 260 Automatic  (Read 3425 times)

Offline KT59

Drive shaft color - July 64 260 Automatic
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:32:21 PM »
Hi, I am looking for the natural finish color code for a driveshaft on a July 64 260 auto hardtop  :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 05:22:07 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Drive shaft color
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:35:59 PM »
the shaft is bare steel with a heat marked seam down the length and heat marks from welding on the yolks. there is no natural finish color code. look in the library section on this site for an article on how to reproduce this appearance.
5F09C331248

Offline KT59

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:25:42 AM »
Thankyou very much  :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:15:09 PM »
The library in at this site includes an article of how I restored one for a concours car - using the original driveline. It might provide some tips and details that might help - if your starting out with a decent (no heavy rust pits)  original.

You'll find the article is just about every list - Example Topic: ConcoursMustang.com Offical 65-66 Mustang Article List

Then down the list of CouncoursMustang articles to - Driveline- Restoring

Related thread here - SEARCH is your friend ;)

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13.0
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline KT59

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff

Read it thouroughly thankyou, yes mine is a good original, will get the components together and give it a go, really appreciate what you have done on this site, as I said in Australia information is scarce... :)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »
.......... as I said in Australia information is scarce... :)

Good well researched and documented information has no borders. Nor does help

Been helping people from your part of the world for over 30 years. - Some just kept the info to themselves - or the "new" info was not well accepted
Jeff Speegle

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 12:03:53 AM »
Good well researched and documented information has no borders. Nor does help

Been helping people from your part of the world for over 30 years. - Some just kept the info to themselves - or the "new" info was not well accepted

And may I say Jeff you have done a wonderful job with others as well in helping this hobby spread beyond its USA origins

Being in and from Australia with ill educated and non helplful "so called" experts is the only challenge we face here. the internet and forums like this are the way of the new mustang enthuisist.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 01:58:47 AM »
I agree Phil that folks on this forum are very helpful and knowledgeable although some occasions i find i am misunderstood or at odds that i find confusing, perhaps because of my knowledge isnt as great or my meaning (choice of words) is just misinterpreted .

there is still one or two points that the folks here insist wernt an option i.e dual exhaust on non GT vehicles , even though i have found period ford (not cobra) advertisements saying it was. even Jeff i think it was, produced a period 65 parts doc that he pointed out (with yellow arrow) showed it wasn't according to his interpretation, however a few rows above it did show a dual exhaust kit (5210-A from memory) was available for standard 260 and 289 equipped cars and i found a bloke that still has NOS of those mufflers. so i find that confusing. perhaps my confusion comes because when someone asks a question in a thread e.g "was dual exhaust an option for C code or non GT's" , i read that as it it was, because i believe it could be ordered from the dealer and when car was picked up it was on. however it maybe that the folk here strictly mean if it was done at the factory (which i dont have any proof yet it never was not done). it may be it was dealer installed option and perhaps that goes against strict concourse rules which they are commenting on as a given (even though sometimes not mentioned specifically). but then arguably i have also read that in the early days Ford had trouble meeting production/sales demands and were sending cars out to dealers incomplete where they would often fit different parts themselves, even trunk lids i read once dealers were fitting themselves. pedantically one could argue if a dealer did anything and it doesnt count, then then those mustangs should be showed without trunk lids lol. since i dont (as yet) enter my car in concourse events even though perhaps i could or might like to in the future (though i am sure it wouldn't go close to winning, because it hasn't been restored and some rubbers are somewhat perished (still work but perishing) and some paint shows patina (read worn through!) where arm rests on door etc etc, one of the seats are split at the seam etc.

i guess what confuses me with concourse rules at the moment is whether ford accessaries are permitted, anything from day night mirrors, h/brake warning light etc, if they are? then are or why not Cobra parts as well that could be ordered at time of purchase or over the counter after. if not then i am sure there is a simple reason, perhaps a line has to be drawn somewhere.

i dont know Phil if you show your car in concourse events or are involved with a club but my small encounters so far with clubs down here i have found some to be very knowledgeable and helpful people. although i happened to be reading concourse rules (for the national body) or outlines the other day i noticed a curious rule . they say that for converted RHD mustangs the wipers 'must' be converted to RHD whereas i have found many many period 65 pictures and advertisements where no doubt Ford Australia did the conversion before they started contracting the work out to others (even those early contractors didnt usually change the wipers afaik as yet). and they more often than not, have left the wipers in the LHD configuration. so i find it weird they insist the wipers be converted to RHD to enter even though obviously that is something most States insist on now if converting today, it wasn't always the Law in the past.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:42:00 AM »
Since the original topic is related to driveshaft finish, I would recommend starting a separate topic regarding concours rules/requirements.  I'm sure myself and others will be happy to weigh in on the discussion.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
Agree this subject deserves a new thread. Would love to comment - might agree and might not but don't want to get this one off course ;)
Jeff Speegle