Author Topic: Vacuum Diaphragm Adjustment  (Read 1518 times)

Offline ClevelandKid

Vacuum Diaphragm Adjustment
« on: March 18, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »
Last summer I was playing around with my 70 351C Mach 1. Setting the idle and checking the timing. It runs like a Swiss watch. But I remember reading an article several years ago about adjusting the dual diaphragm vacuum advance so I put a crescent wrench on the snout of the advance and gave it a slight turn and noticed a slight increase in RPMs. I took it out on the street and did a hard launch and about cremated the tires and the car took off like it was in after burner. It was scary fast. I had marked the exact location before the adjustment and returned it to the original position. Can anyone explain what took place ? I did not know that turning the advance one way or the other would have such an effect on timing. I did not turn the distributor at all just the snout of the vacuum diaphragm.
Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Vacuum Diaphragm Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
More importantly, why the heck did you turn it back ;D
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »
Because not understanding what was happening mechanically I didn't want to run the risk of damaging something down the line.  :-\

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 01:08:47 AM »
Just a guess (not a tech) that you adjust total mechanical advance for the distributor. Since the diaphragm is connected directly to the plate the points are mounted to the adjustment would adjust a greater or short arm length

Didn't recall that factory diaphragms were adjustable - thought it was aftermarket ones but what do I know about the subject ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ClevelandKid

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:27:19 PM »
I forgot to mention I have a Pertronix unit installed. No points. That really stumps me. If the weather here in Upstate NY EVER warms up I'm going to try it again. Ii have a small mark on the vacuum diaphragm and will set it to that mark and then move it a little more to see how much she will take. I'm in a rambunctious mood after the longest winter I think I ever remember.  ;)

Offline 65pon

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »
At full throttle the vac advance doesn't do anything anyway.  It is only active at part throttle.

Offline dave6768

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:21:59 PM »
The only damage you could cause (other than shortening your tire life  ;) ) is if you are pinging at WOT.  If not, you are good to go.

You probably adjusted the timing at idle...this may cause the engine to run a bit warmer and may make it slightly harder to start...but shouldn't cause any "damage."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 01:24:40 PM by dave6768 »