Author Topic: 68 GT Fastback Color Change  (Read 1776 times)

Offline 68GTFastback

68 GT Fastback Color Change
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:37:03 PM »
My car is a 1 of 1, sunlit gold S code with parchment interior. We are starting a complete restoration. My wife wants to change the color to highland green. Will this color change significantly effect the resale value of the car? The Marti report indicates there were 39 FB's built sunlit gold with parchment trim, and the only one built with a remote control driver side mirrow (plus other options not listed).   

Offline ruppstang

Re: 68 GT Fastback Color Change
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
It sounds like a very good looking car. I happen to like highland green a lot but would not make that change. You have to remember we here at concoursmustang.com are purest so a color change diminishes the value.
That is my 2 cents. Marty

Offline stangfan

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »
I would not change the colour either, and I'm a Candy Apple Red sort!  :)  Seriously though, a colour change from a colour that rare would IMHO affect value.  It would also be a costly change, as you would be painting door jambs etc. 
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 10:22:06 PM »
i agree with the above.
5F09C331248

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »
Some people do not mind a color change; but in most instances it does hurt the value of the car.  A quality paint job is not cheap; so the value decrease to many is the cost of returning it to its original color.  If you are building the car as a "keeper" than do what makes you happy!  If, on the other hand, you are looking at this as an investment (either long term or short term) I would keep it original!

My opinion, but you ask for it!  ;)

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »
Just as few of my thoughts

First if you change the color then your not restoring the car.

If your worried about the value apparently this car is not a keeper so the "its your car do what you like" does not apply.

The "different" color will make the car stand out in the sea of other, all the same regular colors we see over and over again at shows.

I think the color combination - though not one of my favorites will make for a stunning car once done - that will make people stop and take notice
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
I think a fresh high quality Sunlit Gold paint job over the right base coat (sealer,primer what-have-you) will pop nicely and look super clean with a parchment interior.   I had the same thoughts on my '67 Burnt Amber car initially.  It's hard to image what the original color will look like as you stare at a faded or older paint job showing it's age.  I was glad I stayed with the original color after seeing the finished product.  Sunlit gold along with Burnt Amber are those colors that don't translate well in photos, but in person on a sunny day or under the garage lights instantly take you back.  Anyway,.......just my opinion

Offline 68GTFastback

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
Thanks all for your input. It's a tough decision because my wife just does not like the original color. Another thing is that we are on the second paint job now. We had to pull the car out of the shop we started with and start all over again. We bought the car in 9/07 and have not driven it since 2/08. It has been a nightmare, not to mention the expense.   

Offline Toploader

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
68? Fastback? GT? Highland Green?

- Sounds to me she's into the Frank Bullitt theme.
76A-Y-D2-13H-72-6-6
1965 Californian Built Silver Blue Convertible