Author Topic: Fuel to Carb on new engine  (Read 2334 times)

Offline Greg45

Fuel to Carb on new engine
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
I will be starting the engine in my 65 K code tomorrow evening for the first time since assembly.  I already have a way to pressurize the oil passages before turning it over.  I'm trying to figure out a way to get fuel in the fuel lines and carb so it will start quickly and I can bring the RPM over 2K.

Could I pressurize the fuel tank through the filler?  Any ideas would be appreciated. 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Fuel to Carb on new engine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
no need to pressurize it. just full both fuel bowls with fuel and if you have the dist. installed correctly it should light up immediately.
5F09C331248

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
I will be starting the engine in my 65 K code tomorrow evening for the first time since assembly.

Wow, exciting times!!! It would be great to have a video or at least a few pictures of this big moment.  ;)

Would love to hear more about the car too when you get a chance.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Greg45

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:32:17 PM »
I'm a little excited too.  :)  My late wife and I took delivery in June 65.  I met the salesman at the rail yard, wiped the wax off the windshield, checked the oil and coolant, and drove it home.

Offline Rsanter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:27:05 PM »
I have used compressed air to push fuel through the lines and to the carb before
Just put a rag in the filler neck around the air nozzle and go easy with it

Filling fuel in the float bowls is great too and often done in conjunction

Bob
Bob

66 mustang GT conv 289 AT deluxe int - high school car
66 mustang conv 289 -3x2v-4spd deluxe int
68 mustang conv basket case
69 mustang conv 302 AT
66 mustang coupe hotrod/racecar

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:27:47 AM »
I agree with just filling the fuel bowls. If you do want to fill the lines, I would use a manually operated suction pump to draw the fuel; using vacuum is safer and less likely to cause damage should you accidentally overpressure the fuel system.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline Greg45

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 01:56:16 AM »
I filled the carburetor with the top off, and pushed two quarts of oil through the Pressure bung.

Darn thing wouldn't start and then the wire from the Dist to the coil melted.  Lots of smoke.  Turns out my old Cobra tach was hooked up incorrectly.  Now I don't know how it should be wired.  :(  Anyone know how a three wire should be connected.  I know one goes to the coil but ??

Hope to start it tomorrow,

Offline Greg45

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »
It started!!  2500 to 3000 RPM for 30 minutes with no leaks and no overheating.  Tomorrow I pull the valve covers and check clearances.  Didn't sound like I lost any lobes.  A GOOD sound!

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
It's a great feeling, congratulations...top work!

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 07:32:22 PM »
 ;D A REALLY great feeling, isn't it! I had let mine sit for several years (about 6) without hearing it. When I started it last year, I did video it after it was running. I've watched that video repeatedly since! I am tearing it down beginning in about a month and will start it again right before. Just like the old Toyota commercial...OH What a feeling!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline rodster

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 10:19:41 PM »
I'm a little excited too.  :)  My late wife and I took delivery in June 65.  I met the salesman at the rail yard, wiped the wax off the windshield, checked the oil and coolant, and drove it home.

Wow, that's so cool. Do you have any pictures of the delivery? Glad to hear it started. Congratulations!!!!!  ;D

Please do keep us posted on your progress, this is one unique car and story.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline Greg45

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:11:22 AM »
Two friends have been helping finish the Kar, they took lots of pictures but I don't have copies yet.  I'm going to pull the valve covers and check the valve clearance tomorrow.  Then, it looks like one more evening and it will be ready to drive.

Forecast is for snow tomorrow! :(  For now, the plan is to drive it in April.  I'm looking for insurance and then to put some miles on it.