Author Topic: 65GT Conv. restoration  (Read 1464 times)

Offline tclark

65GT Conv. restoration
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:26:16 PM »
I've sent my mustang out for a full restoration. The shop I chose are people that I know and fill confident with them.
They already have sent about 150 pictures and will do that as the restoration proceeds.
 If this site and the viewers want I will send pictures as it progress. I know I will have several questions.
4 pictures today, 2 are of factory markings (interesting) any help identifying these?
Thanks
Tom

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65GT Conv. restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »
Hi Tom - thanks for posting It would help allot more if you posted when and where the car was built ;)

You can post the VIN or a shorten version or (example )  June 2nd 65 Dearborn built GT convertible

Sure others (and I) would love to see pictures of the tear down  but without an idea of when and where we can't apply the information to help others ;)

Welcome to the site

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rodster

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:50:40 PM »

Sure others (and I) would love to see pictures of the tear down  but without an idea of when and where we can't apply the information to help others ;)

Welcome to the site

+1 on the pictures.  ;)

Welcome too and good luck with the project.
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline vtstang

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »
Tom - good luck on your project! Are you restoring the whole car, such as chassis, body, drivetrain, electrical, interior, ..? I am new to this site also and found the members here to be extremely helpful, thorough and encouraging. I recently bought a '65 GT convertible, Ivy Green Metallic, built in San Jose in May 1965, and am doing what I guess many call a freshening up. This is including correcting some items in the engine bay such as coil location, heater hose routing, incorrect marks, correct radiator (still looking) and some paintwork (firewall plus a few other items), replacing engine bay and under dash wiring harnesess by necessity because of many badly executed wiring mods over the years (and console mounting screws driven right through power leads.) Also refinishing dash, console, replacing carpet, and new convertible top. Plus removing an incorrect a/c system (no more drain hole required in the passenger side floor!). Given the poorly formed opening in the firewall for the evaporator hoses makes me believe the car was not sold with a/c. Most all this work is being done by two very experienced restoration shops in my area that I trust. I will probably change front rotors and pads myself this summer and do other smaller stuff.I will be interested to watch how your restoration comes along. Please post pics.

Offline tclark

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
For those who want to follow restoration, info on 65GT Conv.    Dearborn assembly plant  (5F08A ------)
Body  76B       Color  P    Trim  66      Date  28T   DSO 36   AXLE 1   Trans  6

Tom 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »
You might consider setting up a blog with updates to your project like I did here:

http://65kresto.blogspot.com/
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin