Author Topic: 65 instrument cluster bezel  (Read 3155 times)

Offline Chris

65 instrument cluster bezel
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:57:02 PM »
Are Ford Service replacement parts marked FoMoCo, specifically the 65 instrument cluster bezel? I'm looking for a new original and see one for auction on eBay now, but the seller says it's not marked anywhere...they show a Ford parts box:http://m.ebay.com/itm/321319454316?nav=SEARCH

One for auction for a 66 is showing FoMoCo: http://m.ebay.com/itm/201038051868?nav=SEARCH

Another example: http://m.ebay.com/itm/360836865961?nav=SEARCH
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 instrument cluster bezel
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 11:20:21 PM »
I believe they are marked somewhere, but can't recall exactly where.  It's not easy to find.  Original and most NOS are gray on the back.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 12:16:05 AM »
Should be one out in the garage will take a look at it :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
Thanks Jeff. Please let me know what you find.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »
Thanks Jeff. Please let me know what you find.

Ok had a service replacement bezel -  box looks like late 80-90's (looks just like the one in the ad you posted) . Also have a 66 bezel old box from the 60's or 70's (didn't check for the box date on either but guess I might)

The newer bezel had no casting markings on the bezel the older version has the FoMoCo, engineering number and a number of identifiers matching what I've seen on assembly line examples and matches the 66 shown in your one ebay ad with the C6 engineering number

Unfortunately don't have an early NOS 65 example to compare

From this I believe we have another example where later replacement parts made by Ford go further away from how they were originally

Goes back to the discussion of what is NOS and what is just service replacements. In this case the Ford made part is not much better - if it is at all - than a reproduction. In many ways there are both just that, a reproduction of the originals - and not often exact reproductions

Reflecting on the EBay ad/sale I think someone over paid for what they thought was NOS and placed way too high of a value on something that could have purchased for $40. For all we know Ford subcontracted out to one of the reproducers to supply these to their dealers during some years.

BTW paid $50 for the Ford replacement like in the Ebay ad according to the box
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 01:14:11 AM »
Jeff, excellent run down on the distinction between early and later Ford replacement parts. I agree that in the case of the 65 instrument bezel sold in the auction, the person who bought the bezel paid way too much for what looks just like the reproductions available. I'm surprised Ford did not continue with marking the parts such as the instrument bezel with FoMoCo and part number. I'll definitely watch for this for other parts before buying.

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »
In addition to what Jeff mentioned, please keep in mind that the bright "chrome" finish on the NOS Ford 65 instrument bezels (at least the ones made from the late '70s to the last ones) will deteriorate after a short period of time in the light.  The finish will kind of craze and become dark. 

I have two cars that I removed the NOS bezels from.  I just threw the bezels away and installed reproductions.

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:27:38 AM »
Brant--How is the fit and finish on the repro version?  I have a NOS Ford bezel, from about 1978, on my car--can' t wait for the crazing and color change to begin!  What about replating the plastic?  Is it worth the effort?
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 09:31:25 AM »
Brant--How is the fit and finish on the repro version?  I have a NOS Ford bezel, from about 1978, on my car--can' t wait for the crazing and color change to begin!  What about replating the plastic?  Is it worth the effort?

It looks fine to me.  Leave that Ford one on there and maybe you will be lucky.  IMHO, it is not worth replating the plastic and trying to repaint the bezel when the reproduction is available.

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:30 AM »
What about replating the plastic?  Is it worth the effort?

Gary-
    I had my original bezel replated several years ago, very happy with the result. The company unfortunately is now out of business although there are still a few around the country who still rechrome plastic. It wasn't cheap but not much of what I've done in this restoration process has been cheap. Through my restoration I've adopted the philosophy of some here on the forum that the best part for your car is the one that came off it, whether it needs replated, repainted, rechromed or just restored. If it came off your car odds are it will easily fit back on when your done. There's something about having as many 50 year old parts still on my car that I find challenging and satisfying, though I am a little poorer for it.

Greg

http://s642.photobucket.com/user/kutzoh/media/IMG_1599.jpg.html
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline outback mustang

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »

I saw bits of an episode (old re-run) of dream car garage a little while ago, the TV was on in the background and i heard them talk about re-chroming a persons dash bezels, one that wasn't available as a reproduction.

as i recall they said very few people if anyone at all will redo them now. Even though there are places that chrome plastic but they only deal in large volume multiples of a particular item. they had a bezel from some car they were working on or restoring, i can't remember what it was now, wasn't a ford. they said they had convinced the owner or company to let them put a few things through for them and then showed the process.

the items are all placed on custom made racks to fit in all their machines. the plastic went through a couple or preparation steps and then got coated in clear, then go into a huge decompression looking vessel , the racks fit in perfectly making use of all available space. the large door is closed like some sort of submarine door and the vacuum or decompression begins, the racks are being rotated while they are in there. on the end of the racks they have tiny little aluminium/aluminum bars held in special holder, this is what you see, its not actually chrome they use. the bars (not many at all 4 maybe 6 ) were very small by the looks smaller than your little finger, possibly two bars might nearly make about the same size. i thought it amazing just how little material is used to coat the hundreds of items they were doing. it must indicate the coating on the plastic or bezels is extremely thin. after they are coated in the aluminium they come out looking like shiny chrome, then they are coated in another coat of clear and thats the end of the chroming process as they showed it. that was also all of the process they showed, they didn't show the camera black painting.

perhaps the ones mentioned earlier from the seventies or later getting the crazing or whatever once they have been installed- in the light. is because the final clear coat they used back then wasn't very very UV resistant.

i wonder if the process for producing chrome dash bezels was (basically) the same in the mid sixties. possibly i think it was different.