Author Topic: Correct Installation of Stainless Trim on '65-66 "Pony" Kick Panels  (Read 7507 times)

Offline drummingrocks

I recently took the kick panels back out of my '66 fastback to install new carpeting.  I had done this back when I restored the car, but was never really happy with the result.  The problem is that I assumed I would remember how to install the stainless strip, but it's been a few weeks since I disassembled the panels, and I've forgotten.

I found a Mustang monthly article showing the installation of the carpet and stainless trim, but I can't make out exactly how the strip is oriented.  It has one "open" end and one finished, closed end...and I can't tell which end goes where.

Please help, in this case, a picture of a good original kick panel is worth 1,000 words!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Correct Installation of Stainless Trim on '65-66 "Pony" Kick Panels
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 12:09:49 AM »
The finished end is closest to the front edge of the kick panel.  The stainless strip is molded so there is a left and right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
The finished end points towards the firewall? 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 02:11:21 PM »
The finished end points towards the firewall?

Sorry, that was confusing... the finished end goes closest to the door jamb.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 02:48:20 PM »
Great, that's the way I "thought" I remembered it being when I took everything apart.

Thanks for your help!

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
One more thing:

I've been looking at this Mustang Monthly article on how to install the kick panel carpeting, and a couple of things don't seem right to me.  Again, I'm going mostly off memory.  My '66 had the original deluxe kick panels when I got the car.  I replaced the kick panels and carpet due to age, and I remember being pretty careful to make sure things looked and lined up like they did on my Ford originals.  Looking at the Mustang Monthly article, seen here: http://www.mustangmonthly.com/projectbuild/mump_0002_1966_ford_mustang_deluxe_pony_interior_upgrade/photo_27.html

My concerns are that

1) There's too much vinyl showing around the outer perimeter of the kick panel, especially along the outer edge that goes near the firewall, and the bottom of the panel.  I remember my carpet and vinyl being much more even, and that the amount of vinyl showing around the kick panel was consistent around the whole plastic panel.  But then again, I could simply be mistaken.

2) I don't remember my stainless strip going all the way to the edge of the plastic like it does in the photo.  From what I remember, it looks like the stainless is installed a little too far to the right; it's a little too close to the doorjamb area.  Again, am I just remembering things wrong?

If it matters, this is on a '66 fastback produced in Dearborn on Dec. 8th, 1965.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:24:12 PM »
I found a fairly decent photo of my fastback's original interior, and it looks like the stainless strip goes almost to the very back of the kick panel, but that there is a slight gap there between the end of the stainless and the end of the plastic kick panel.  It's hard to tell for sure though.  I wish I had taken better pictures!

Offline rodster

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:33:31 AM »
65 Dearborn car for example.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:36:17 AM by rodster »
1965 Dearborn Mustang Coupe
Raven Black - Palomino Pony
1967 Dearborn Mustang Conv.
Wimbeldon White - Red
1984 SVO - 2A

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the picture, that helps a lot.  Looking at that original kick panel, I get the feeling I'm obsessing over a detail that maybe wasn't that critical or consistent when these cars were new.

Offline ErnieHobaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »
I recently took the kick panels back out of my '66 fastback to install new carpeting.  I had done this back when I restored the car, but was never really happy with the result.  The problem is that I assumed I would remember how to install the stainless strip, but it's been a few weeks since I disassembled the panels, and I've forgotten.

I found a Mustang monthly article showing the installation of the carpet and stainless trim, but I can't make out exactly how the strip is oriented.  It has one "open" end and one finished, closed end...and I can't tell which end goes where.

Please help, in this case, a picture of a good original kick panel is worth 1,000 words!
Hello friend were you able to find right ways to install these panels? I have tried a lot but not successful yet so please help me out..

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
Hello friend were you able to find right ways to install these panels? I have tried a lot but not successful yet so please help me out..

Hi Ernie, I did finally get these installed correctly.  What are you having trouble with?  I'll be glad to help and answer any questions.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 03:02:55 PM »
Here's a picture of the LH kick panel with the carpet removed but showing the position of the trim piece holes. They are located in the center of the raised part of the panel. The pins of the trim go thru the top of the carpet. I suggest match drilling holes in the panel to the trim's pins first. Note the set back from the rear (LH in the picture) edge. It is very apparent in a previous picture in this thread. I replaced this piece on my 66 Fastback because the top at the door jam that the pinch weld goes into, cracked. The Pony door panel has a very tight fit to the kick panel and to facilitate the door panel sliding into place I used a dab of petroleum jelly. The panel shown is not the factory original but was installed reasonably well. It is a poor reproduction and was replaced by me with a Scott Drake panel and chrome trim piece. I reused the carpet as it matched the rest of the carpet better. If you have to trim the panel to fit, trim the BOTTOM after doing a dry fit of the panel before the carpet or trim is installed. I used 3M spray contact cement for the carpet but needed several steps to get the best wrap around the curves.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.