Author Topic: Power Steering with a mind of it's own. Help?  (Read 638 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

Power Steering with a mind of it's own. Help?
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
Hi All,
This is hopefully the last bug fix. The power steering on my 66 is turning really slowly by itself when I am at a stand still and the car is running. I have the Thompson pump and all hoses are correctly installed as the wheel is not turning violently back and forth but it is just "ghosting" to the left or right depending on which way the wheel may be slightly turned. The ram is new and pump is working fine. Just had valve body serviced with a new kit and after ringing the guy who did it about the problem he tells me that "the valve was a bit warn but I thought it would be ok". I explained that I am getting leaks from 3-4 ends of the hoses. Now before you ask, yes they are done up squarely and tightly.  :D His response to that is that the pump has a pressure relief valve that could be faulty??? Now I have never seen inside one of these (any pics would be great) but sounds a little funny to me. As far as I knew the pump would circulate the fluid through the high pressure hose down to the valve box and back up the low pressure hose until one of the valves would open causing the pressure to assist the ram.
Can anyone please educate me further on this so that I know what I am talking about when I go and see him next week?
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
Re: Power Steering with a mind of it's own. Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:33:45 PM »
I haven't unpacked my shop manual yet, but I believe there is an adjustment that can be made at the end of the valve. The cap is removable by removing 2 screws.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!