Author Topic: Smog Head Plug -  (Read 1386 times)

Offline jwc66k

Smog Head Plug -
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:04:55 AM »
A friend is making a daily driver from a 66 hardtop with a 289 smog engine. The smog setup is damaged beyond use and he wants to remove it and plug the holes. The Ford plug is expensive and somewhat difficult to find, is there a recommended pipe plug or other plug that can be used. I know the thread into the head is 1/2X20 and the plug needs to be about an inch long but the hex of a standard bolt will most likely have an interference fit. A socket head bolt would be better. Any comments or suggestions. And he don't care about concourse grade cars (yet), and no "tests" are required.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Smog Head Plug -
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
JIM

from someone on the other side of the world, I have been buying up these smogs plugs up for the best part of 5 years in NOS form as the vast majority of cars into the land down under are SJ cars and a great deal of them still have smog attached, but when time comes knocking for a resto the smog system is the first things that gets thrown in the scrap/junk pile as most mechanics and owners have no understanding of workings of a smog system. so hence people either need to swap the heads out or plug the existing exhaust ports.  ebay seems to be the best place to find them (cheaply) but do recall NPD selling them in a previous catalogue (expensive $40+) the correct ford part number is very handy to have as well. C6AZ-6052-A.  I have a few sets left if your really struggling to find a set, but I have also seen examples where owners have left the old school plug and tube in the head and just cut and bent the tube over and crimped the tube over on itself to give it a sealed application.....  not saying it looks good but does do the job...

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:38:08 PM by outlawincorporated »
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
     These came to me by the usual circuitious route.  They were on a 66 SJ car after smog and before headers.  They are 1/4" allen wrench size and 1/2" overall length.  Seems like they would not be that hard to track down.  If they are let me know.  Brian
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 03:01:27 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Phil and Brian,
  I have a set of the Ford plugs on my own 66 hardtop that I installed a long time ago so I am not the end user. My request was for a tight budget get-it-on-the-road project for a friend, so I appreciate the responses. I will forward the Ford part number to him but will also seek out a local source for a plug. The socket screw type was what I was thinking about, or a reduced hex 1/2-20 bolt, sort of like what's in my vast collection of exhaust header bolts, only they are 3/8-16. There are several local businesses I can investigate but with your inputs I can at least describe what I need and I now have options.
Thanks,
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline PraireBronze

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 10:33:55 PM »
Back in the day, I just went down to my local small town NAPA store and bought common plugs that install with an allen wrench.  They were only about 1/4 to 3/8 inch deep/long as I recall.  I'm sure they can still be easily found.
- Tim -

1965 Prairie Bronze 2+2 (under construction)
Build Oct '64 San Jose
289 4V Automatic Transmission (A-code clone :P )
Black Std Interior
AC, PS, Style Steels, 1" Drop, Konis
Aluminized 2 1/4 Exhaust, Tri-Ys