Author Topic: Headliner: Scott Drake vs. TMI?  (Read 2525 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Headliner: Scott Drake vs. TMI?
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
Hi guys, I recently took the windshield and rear glass out of my '67 coupe to repair a water leak, and I figured I would put in a new headliner while I was at it.  My car has a deluxe Ivy Gold interior, so it's not a super common color like black.  To make a long story short, I cut the first headliner a little short in one area over the backseat, and while most people wouldn't notice it, it has a wrinkle that I'm just not happy with.  This first headliner was a Scott Drake from NPD.  I went to order another headliner from NPD yesterday, and they're completely out of stock of the Scott Drake headliner.  They do have a TMI headliner in stock, but the color looks slightly darker.  I can't verify if the headliner I took out was the original, but the color matched the Scott Drake replacement almost perfectly.

Does anyone have any experience with TMI headliners?  I'm mostly concerned about fitment issues and longevity.  I can live with the color if it's a little off.  I know TMI is well thought of for their upholstery, but I've never dealt with their headliners.  For that matter, I'd never dealt with Scott Drake headliners (or even knew they made headliners) until now.  Any advice on what to do?  I'd like to get the car reassembled and back together, but if Scott Drake makes a better product, then I'll wait for it to be back in stock.

Again, if only the interior was black--I'm sure those headliners are in stock everywhere!   ;)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 09:47:10 PM by drummingrocks »
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
Re: Headliner: Scott Drake vs. TMI?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 10:35:05 PM »
We sell an Ivy Gold headliner for Cougars, it has the moon crater texture. Does that sound right? texture wise? Cougars are cut differently than Mustang though.

We buy direct from the manufacturer, who also supplies Drake. They do not have a web site, nor sell direct. I would shop around to other Mustang vendors to find someone that has the Ivy Gold in stock from Drake.

TMI is not one of our headliner suppliers.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline drummingrocks

Re: Headliner: Scott Drake vs. TMI?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
We sell an Ivy Gold headliner for Cougars, it has the moon crater texture. Does that sound right? texture wise? Cougars are cut differently than Mustang though.

We buy direct from the manufacturer, who also supplies Drake. They do not have a web site, nor sell direct. I would shop around to other Mustang vendors to find someone that has the Ivy Gold in stock from Drake.

TMI is not one of our headliner suppliers.

Hi Scott, I didn't realize anyone from West Coast Classic Cougars was on this board.  WCCC has one of the best websites out there, as far as I'm concerned.  Anyway, you're right--it is moonskin grain according to the NPD catalog.  I've looked at several other sources, and so far, I haven't found anyone with another Drake headliner in stock.
Too much junk, too little time.