Author Topic: Choke Tubes Question.  (Read 1913 times)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

Choke Tubes Question.
« on: March 01, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »
Having issues with my fresh 289 A code. She runs beautifully in Park but as soon as I put her in reverse or neutral or drive she starts to run really poorly. The C4 has been rebuilt at the same time.  Thinking that it may be a vacuum problem maybe and was wondering if the new choke tubes that I have put in should be sealed where they enter the exhaust manifold heat chamber as I have only pushed them in there. Manifolds have been glass bead blasted and are all clean. I blocked the heat chamber for the choke tubes to prevent any bead getting stuck in the steel mesh filter too. Its an Autolite 4100 carbi by the way. Any other possible suggestions here would be great as this is stopping me from driving her at the moment.
Thanks in advance
- Dan.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:31:04 PM by 66RavenGTCoupe »
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Choke Tubes Question.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »
those tubes are a press fit. no sealer needed. check the vacuum line & modulator connections. you could also have a vacuum leak where the choke body bolts to the carb.
5F09C331248

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
those tubes are a press fit. no sealer needed. check the vacuum line & modulator connections. you could also have a vacuum leak where the choke body bolts to the carb.

The originals were in there fairly snug and the new ones pull in and out with minor force so not sure if this is causing a problem. Thanks for your suggestions. I actually checked vac line and modulator connections last night and made sure the carb was bolted to the inlet manifold snugly too. Will check choke body. Thanks.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 08:45:01 PM »
You didn't mention anything about your carburetor. Has any adjustments been done or made to it?

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:38:34 AM »
Oops! Nope just your standard Autolite 4100 4 barrel.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 01:00:50 AM »
Is the timing set new and harmonic balancer rebuilt?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 03:53:41 AM »
New points and rotor button. Harmonic balancer would have been done with the rest of the motor I suppose but I'll ask tomorrow. Would that not have caused it to run rough in park also?
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 11:54:48 AM »
You said that it runs OK in Park but not Neutral. There's no drag against the engine either way, so you may be able to rule out Transmission Drag. It's still odd that Neutral is an issue. For grins, turn off the engine, put it in Drive and see if you can start the Engine; nothing should happen. If it does try to start, then the Neutral Safety Switch is bad. This doesn't necessarily mean that you've found the problem but will need to be addressed. If you can rule out the Safety Switch, I would revisit the Transmission or have whoever rebuilt it take a look.

Try one other thing. Disconnect and plug the small Rubber Tube that attaches to the Modulator Valve. Start the Engine and put it in Neutral and let us know the results.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 12:49:25 PM »
The choke tube is going to bring in roughly the same amount of air no matter if it's hooked up or disconnected at the choke housing, and the carburetor is set for that amount no matter what.
Do the spray water bottle trick, with the engine running, spray water around the carb base, intake manifold mounting surfaces, vacuum areas. The engine should slow down measurably, or even die when the "spot" is found. Spraying carb cleaner is another trick, the engine will speed up. DON'T SPRAY GASOLINE. It works all too well. Also, inspect the cork seals at the rear of intake manifold to the engine. They're important.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.