Author Topic: Vinyl Top Template?  (Read 1190 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Vinyl Top Template?
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:13 AM »
Does anyone have or know of a source for a Template that indicates the locations of the holes for attaching the Vinyl Top Trim?

Thank you.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline JKWilson

Re: Vinyl Top Template?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
The holes already exist. To locate them the lead needs to be cleaned out of the seam between the quarter panel and sail panel. It's the area where they're joined together during assembly. You can usually see at least two of the holes for the moldings from inside the car with the sides of the headliner removed next to the package tray. You'll need to look through the bracing in order to see them.

A factory vinyl top car doesn't receive lead filler in the seam, hence the reason the molding sits properly when installed (the unleaded seam forms a concave area that the molding fits into). During the installation of many "added" vinyl roofs, the installer fails to remove the lead out of the seam prior to installing the vinyl top. The molding then sits too high and appears to fit poorly (because it is!).

The factory holes are really only useful for original moldings. The pins for most repop moldings are off enough to require re-drilling! The three holes at the base of the sail panel on the car you pictured are near the original holes for the molding. The seam appears to have been filled though.

I have attached the Ford directions for installing a vinyl top if they're any help.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:49:43 PM by JKWilson »
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Re: Vinyl Top Template?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:01:16 PM »
Great information, thank you very much.

The pictured car was my first Mustang. The Vinyl Top was original to the car and the Molding fit perfectly. I wonder if the Trimmer cut the new Vinyl in some way to make it fit better or matched factory cutting? Or could the original Molding have been made differently to allow for the filled seams? Guess I'll never know; no longer have the car.

On my current car, I'll look for the filled holes and find NOS Molding for a trial fit before any Vinyl is added. If the lead has to go for a good fit...then it's outa there!

Thanks again

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A