Author Topic: Is this an original fuel pump or replacement? 64.5 260  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Lemondrop

Is this an original fuel pump or replacement? 64.5 260
« on: January 05, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »
Trying to figure out of this is the original fuel pump or a replacement. I dented the can on the bottom trying to get it of. Figured out to use a vise and do a slow crush all the way around the can threads, mush then move a quarter inch, and it came off. Wish I had done that before mashing but anyway.....is it original or replacement and is there a rebuild kit for it?

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Re: Is this an original fuel pump or replacement? 64.5 260
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:15:02 PM »
I don't know for sure if this is the correct Fuel Pump, though it does appear to be...I'm sure someone else will have the answer.

Rebuild kits are available; I've seen them listed in Mustang Parts Catalogs as well as eBay...be sure that you get a kit that is compatible with todays fuel containing Ethanol, otherwise the diaphragm and other soft parts will fail. In the '70's they started messing with Ethanol, called Gasohol back then, and ruined many a fuel system.

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:01:52 AM »
Your fuel pump isn't original nor is your fuel filter canister. The pump appears to be a service replacement. I hope this helps.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Your fuel pump isn't original nor is your fuel filter canister. The pump appears to be a service replacement. I hope this helps.

+1   casting suggest late 67 - up
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:35 PM »
I agree with some statements and disagree with others because they may give the wrong impression of what may be correct in this situation. The style characteristics of fuelpump looks correct for a early 260 application IMO. Screw together top and bottom half is typical.  The button top pump was a later development by the same company. The "Carter" markings on the fuelpump in question typically indicates a later time frame so most likely a service replacement . There are pump identification stampings and date code stampings on the flange where it bolts to the timing cover  that will indicate what it is for sure.  CAR bure TER is more typical markings on the fuelpump.  The filter can style also indicates a later replacement . The double fluted bottom is more typical.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:37:54 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »
FYI most larger vendors sell rebuild kits for these. There is also a excellent double fluted FOMOCO silkscreened reproduction of the correct can . I would use what you have and get a new repro can until you find one with the correct CAR bure TER markings and stamped codes on the flange. That is if you want to go to that extent of detail. Just my opinion. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »
FYI most larger vendors sell rebuild kits for these. There is also a excellent double fluted FOMOCO silkscreened reproduction of the correct can . I would use what you have and get a new repro can until you find one with the correct CAR bure TER markings and stamped codes on the flange. That is if you want to go to that extent of detail. Just my opinion.

Kind of what I was thinking. The pics I have seen showed the CARbureTER logo, so I was thinking this was a replacement. I also found no signs of white paint on the can prior to glass beading it. The can has some nifty funk living in the bottom of it. I'm doing a look-alike so this pump should do me fine. I'll keep an eye out for the correct pump but doubt I'll go nutso looking for one. Only other question related to this, was the factory version ainted black with the engine or did it get bolted on after so it stayed the natural aluminum color?

The parts houses also only show a rebuild for I think Boss 302 cars, will it be the same as my pump will need?

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »
the pump is unpainted.
5F09C331248

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:26 PM »
Went and looked at the neck, where it bolts to the timing cover and found these numbers:
M6 and 3831

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
Kind of what I was thinking. The pics I have seen showed the CARbureTER logo, so I was thinking this was a replacement. I also found no signs of white paint on the can prior to glass beading it. The can has some nifty funk living in the bottom of it. I'm doing a look-alike so this pump should do me fine. I'll keep an eye out for the correct pump but doubt I'll go nutso looking for one. Only other question related to this, was the factory version ainted black with the engine or did it get bolted on after so it stayed the natural aluminum color?

The parts houses also only show a rebuild for I think Boss 302 cars, will it be the same as my pump will need?
It wouldn't matter if you found white  paint on it or not because it is a later service replacement style. The crimped flutes at the bottom of the can are different then the double fluted style of the original cans. The parts in the B2 rebuild kit should work fine on your pump.

Offline Lemondrop

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 11:14:42 PM »
It wouldn't matter if you found white  paint on it or not because it is a later service replacement style. The crimped flutes at the bottom of the can are different then the double fluted style of the original cans. The parts in the B2 rebuild kit should work fine on your pump.

I was not questioning if it was original by the white paint not being there, it was an observation of pictures of known original pumps and that made me consider asking if mine was original. I never noticed the fluting on the can either. When I blasted it I thought that the pump was either a replacement or the can had been replaced, since the white paint was not there and it seemed like it was plated. The M6 I found on the case I dug on the internet and *think* it means my pump is dated December 1966. That would gel with the engine being replaced, (Fred Jones Remanufactured) thinking warranty replacement. If it was replaced under warranty, the fuel pump could have been damaged by whatever the failure was or damaged during the R&I of the engine itself. I only wish my car could talk :)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:31:43 AM »
My car talks to me all the time...biggest liar I've ever come across.

Looks like the consensus is that it's a replacement. It appears to be in good condition; a little clean-up, a rebuild kit and a new Fuel Canister and you're there.

Didn't know about the CAR bure TER thing; always happy to learn...thanks for the lesson!

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline ptosborn1111

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
There was the mention of a rebuild kit but be careful of ethanol! Would anyone use any of the ethanol out products on the market as a fuel additive. I use this in my BOSS and 11' Shelby as an added insurance against the ethanol. Does anyone use this practice as well?
65' Fastback (42k mile car) VIN 5F09A718971
A code 289/4 speed
Body 63A
Color K
Trim 26
Date 07S
DSO 41

71' Boss 351 (Grabber yellow, 2nd owner, 32k miles)
71' Boss 351 (Bright red, 2nd owner, 56k miles)
67' RS/SS 350 Camaro (Butternut yellow project)