Author Topic: Open or Closed Ventilation System for an Early 65 "A" Code?  (Read 751 times)

Offline blk65fstbk

Open or Closed Ventilation System for an Early 65 "A" Code?
« on: December 27, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
I'm restoring an early (November 5, 1964) 1965 Mustang Fastback. It's an "A" code 289, 4-speed manual, no PS, no PB, non-A/C car. It was built in Dearborn, MI and delivered to the Davenport, IA sales district.

The car didn't come with the original engine, but I was fortunate enough to find one out of another 65. I want to restore it back to how it would have been set up originally, but don't know if it would have had an open or closed ventilation system. Or what the correct components (air cleaner, oil cap, road draft tube, pcv valve, etc.) would have been. Can anybody help?

Thanks.
1965 Mustang Fastback
"A" Code 289 V8, 4 Speed Manual Toploader and 3.00:1 Locking Differential
Raven Black Exterior and Black Standard Interior
No PS, PB or A/C
Built November 5, 1964 in Dearborn, MI

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Open or Closed Ventilation System for an Early 65 "A" Code?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 06:21:19 PM »
If the car had a California DSO, then it probably had closed emission setup, which for a '65 A code would simply mean a PCV setup with an oil filler cap that has a hose running to the front of the air cleaner.

For non-CA DSO, it could be either a road-draft of PCV.  Your car was made when road draft tubes were being used, but quite honestly, nobody can refute either road draft or PCV since they were used at the same time.  A PCV setup would be much better for your engine.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin