Author Topic: 64.5 blue interior replacement  (Read 4885 times)

Offline 64.5gcl

64.5 blue interior replacement
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:19:48 AM »
I've been struggling with this for a month so I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 64.5 conv that I need to replace the upholstery on and I'm having a tough time finding a proper color vinyl. I've owned the car since 72 and so I'm pretty sure the existing is original. It is blue on blue (82 code) interior and the vinyl is a med blue. I've been looking at tmi and distinctive industries seats and door panels. DI has a vinyl (med blue metallic) that is close in color but not quite correct. It has an iridescence to it that I don't have on my existing upholstery but I can use it if I can't find a better alternative. TMI's is a darker, greyer blue than mine that I'm not keen on using as I'll then also need to change the interior paint colors to match. So I guess my questions are: (1) is the iridescence on the DI blue metallic correct and (2) is there another way to go other than these two manufacturers that will give me a closer match to original?

Thanks.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 64.5 blue interior replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:33:04 AM »
For your 64.5, I would seek NOS vinyl and have seat covers/door panels made, there is no reproduction that is correct.  Scott Halseth at NPD can help you with getting them made, but you will need to procure the material yourself.  SMS auto fabrics and OEM auto interiors are a couple places that stock NOS vinyl.  You might be able to cross-reference the material with another Ford model, like a '64 Galaxie or Falcon.  Keep in mind that there are different weights (thickness) of vinyls.  You'll want thicker for the seat covers and thin for the door panels.  The places that sell NOS vinyl will know what you're talking about.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »
Any advice on how I can get the Detroit or Deleo upholstery numbers. The suppliers are asking for them and I can't find anything on the Internet. Color code  for the interior is 82. Thanks.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »
I have a friend with a 1964 Detroit book, will see if I can get the blue vinyl codes for you.

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:01:49 AM »
That would be great. Thanks.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
Try the L-2095

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:36:06 PM »
Much appreciated. I'll let you know how the color turns out.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 11:38:57 PM »
I have some really nice original 64.5 blue sun visors for a convertible if you need some.  Send a PM to discuss.

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:04:47 AM »
i'm good for visors. Thanks anyway. I'll need armrest pads though if I can source vinyl to match my interior so I don't need to go with reproduction seat covers. I've requested samples from SMS and another auto vinyl company so I hopefully will know fairly shortly which way I'm going to go.

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 02:25:21 AM »
Charles-your name keeps popping up on the forums i use as reference and you obviously know your stuff. Thanks for your help. I did get samples of the NOS vinyl from SMS and Original Auto Upholstery and I carried them with me in my pocket, along with the TMI and DI samples, for a month and every time I had a minute I'd pull them out and look at them. I didn't want to make a mistake I would regret once it was done. I talked to both DI and TMI about custom making the seat covers and panels from the NOS vinyl if I supplied it (both would do it for an up charge) and then I crunched the numbers. At the end of it all, I couldn't justify with my budget going the custom route so I ended up ordering the DI covers, door panels and quarter panels. They are installed and the colour match to my original painted door surfaces and dash is great so I haven't had to repaint them. The feel of the interior remains true to character of what I've lived with for all these years (even if it isn't 100% accurate) and there is money left over from the 2013 budget to do a few more things.

Quick unrelated question, but I see you commenting elsewhere on the Accent Group Option so you know this subject as well. My car had the lower body trim when I got it in '72. I had the quarter trims removed some time ago when I had the rear quarter panels replaced (never lied them). Adding the pinstriping would complete the replication of the accent group so I'm thinking about it. My convertible top is Ford Blue on Wimbledon White body so a pinstripe that matches my interior blue color would be best visually. Did the pinstripes only come in black and white originally or were they colour coordinated to the interiors?

I don't have a concours budget but want to stay true to the original where feasible when I do things so my original motor, transmission, generator, carb, radiator have been rebuilt rather than replaced. I regret replacing the quarter panels rather than repairing the originals but it was a youthful indescretion. I appreciate the expertise this forum offers and will continue to follow it so that when my ship comes in my pride and joy can go concours.

Thanks again.

Glenn

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
Glenn:  Going by memory, the accent stripe colors were black, white, blue and red.  I may have a reference with the codes.

Offline 64.5gcl

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 04:31:53 AM »
Thanks Charles. Be great if you could come up with it for me.

I've got a question about my proper trunk liner and I'm looking for where to post it so you may see it floating around.

Glenn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
I've got a question about my proper trunk liner and I'm looking for where to post it so you may see it floating around.

Glenn

IF its a question related to a year specific question place it in the 65-66 section. If the question relates to all trunk mats or across a greater period than just 65-66 then you can place it in the Interior & Trunk area

It can always be moved if need be ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)