Author Topic: 65 muffler replacement  (Read 4838 times)

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 muffler replacement
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 12:25:24 PM »
If you have a problem with any product you should let the seller know of that problem. Most responsible sellers will inform their suppliers of the problem. If you don't tell them, the problem will never get resolved. Remember, the seller didn't make that item, they just sold it, so be courteous. I've given feedback to several sellers and they appreciate it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 12:59:01 PM »
If you have a problem with any product you should let the seller know of that problem. Most responsible sellers will inform their suppliers of the problem. If you don't tell them, the problem will never get resolved. Remember, the seller didn't make that item, they just sold it, so be courteous. I've given feedback to several sellers and they appreciate it.
Jim

I had no issue with the retailers of the exhaust pipes they were both happy to receive the feedback about the poor fitting H-pipes I received. The core issue is that both manufacturers Precision Exhaust and Motive Industries (who share some history) have been selling these pieces for years with no updates to their design blueprints. Given the pricing of most of the exhaust kits (they are not terribly expensive), there isn't a lot of motivation for the manufacturers to change anything. Scott Fuller fills some of this void but his products are significantly more expensive (a typical exhaust kit costs around $400 vs. around $2600 from Scott). Not a knock against Scott. His products are awesome. But given the price difference that doesn't make sense for every car.

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline Chris

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 03:48:58 PM »
One of the issues I have with my current exhaust system is the collector (section betwen the Y pipe and muffler) laying on top of the convertible brace plate. If the Y pipe hangs down too low, I will not be able to correct this issue. Probably more of a problem for convertibles that have the plate. I'll order the NPD kit and see. There are 6 clamps that come with the kit for attaching the pieces together and connecting them to the exhaust manifold. There are no hangers so the rigidity of the parts when connected together along with the shape of the pipes will determine how far under the car they hang. I'm guessing they are shaped/designed to hang the appropriate distance above the convertible brace plate to avoid hitting the plate.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 05:45:16 PM »

1. If the Y pipe hangs down too low, I will not be able to correct this issue. Probably more of a problem for convertibles that have the plate.
2. There are 6 clamps that come with the kit for attaching the pieces together and connecting them to the exhaust manifold.
3. There are no hangers so the rigidity of the parts when connected together along with the shape of the pipes will determine how far under the car they hang. I'm guessing they are shaped/designed to hang the appropriate distance above the convertible brace plate to avoid hitting the plate.
1. Do a 'dry' fit of ''Y" pipe and the next section. If the "Y" pipe hangs down too low, go to a muffler shop and have them 'tweek' the bend.
2. Do a recount on clamps. A replacement single exhaust system should only use three normally; "Y" pipe to muffler pipe; muffler pipe to muffler in; muffler out to tail pipe. An additional clamp for the tail pipe to tip is possible.
3. The hangers are at each end of the muffler. The biggest problem is the muffler out pipe hanging down too low as there is no support for position, just the clamp. It was originally welded in place.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.