Author Topic: Rechroming parts  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Chris

Rechroming parts
« on: December 26, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »
June 64 1/2 mustang, 260 V8

My vent windows and quarter windows are pitted and I'm looking for advice on the best way to get them looking new again. I've seen original replacement parts go for $700-$800 for a pair of vent windows.

Is it cheaper to have them rechromed? Can this work on pitted parts?

What are some places that do this work? I will need work on other chrome parts as we'll such as the convertible trim pieces above the windshield.

Thanks.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline jwc66k

Re: Rechroming parts
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »
I found a pair of good shape, close date coded frames for my 66 K Fastback and had them chromed. Yup, expensive, but I'm the enviro-whacky state of California (the plater spend about $6 K a month for hazardous materials recycle fees, and everything is more expensive anyway) so if you have a set in good condition, what you pay for replacement is about what it will cost to rechrome. The process puts your frame into 28 to 36 different 'baths' which is why it costs so much. Repairing the pits will cost more. The vent window frame is another problem. Only the pivot needs to be rechromed, the fame itself is stainless steel. Why do yours? They're date coded.
Charles Turner may have a plater to recommend so wait for his input.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:18:27 AM »
I'm also interested in knowing more about re-chroming. I've heard that you can save by sending in everything that needs to be re-chromed at one time and also by doing as much of the prep work as possible yourself. Would definitely like advice and anybody's experiences with platers and the names of good shops; especially any that may be in Texas.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
Re-chroming original parts helps with keeping the original fit and appearance.  A lot of repro parts like vent window frames will have issues that make them difficult to fit right.

General rule of thumb with chroming, though, is if the part has too much detail, it will be expensive to do and probably not turn out as nice as you would like.  Convertible visor pivot brackets are one of those items, very difficult to do these correctly, finding NOS would be ideal in that situation.

I use a shop in Erie, PA called Qual-Krom.  Bob, the owner, has been doing restoration work for many years and his chrome/stainless work is top notch.  Just be sure to tell him to retain original detail in the parts and be sure not to sand edges that could change the appearance.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
Chris-
    I used Qual-Krom also, very happy with the results. Erie was a 2 1/2 hour drive for me, Bob did rear quarter windows, front vent windows with the vent window knob, both bumpers. Had him also do my gear shift lever and handle and turn signal lever. PM me if your interested in what he charged but remember the same item can require different amounts of labor, more pitting I would assume more labor. Bob will give you a quote before beginning work.

http://www.qualkrom.com/

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue