Author Topic: Securing top boot snaps to quarter panel  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Chris

Securing top boot snaps to quarter panel
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:23 PM »
My interior was redone not long ago. I just put the top boot cover on for the first time and when I took it off (very tight fit) the snaps on one side of the the recovered quarter panel came out. I can't see how they were held on, all I have in hand are the snaps that press into the small hole in the quarter panel. The small shaft on the back of the snap does not have anything to connect to on the back side of the panel. When I look up the part sold in parts cateloges, there is nothing sold to hold on the snap.

How can I get the sanp to stay on? I've puched them back on but they are loose and will not hold with the boot cover attached.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Securing top boot snaps to quarter panel
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »
I've seen rivets through the snap bases and others where there was a stud made into the base allowing a nut and washer to be installed from below. Can't way which was original since many times these were added at the dealer or by previous owners
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dave6768

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »
Not a concourse correct solution, but I drilled a hole thru the snap and used a small screw with a nut and washer on the back side.  It's really hard to see...you almost have to be looking for it.

Offline Chris

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 01:19:16 PM »
I called the upholstery shop. They said that the snaps through the quarter panel are secured by 1/8 inch pop rivet washers. This provides extra grab but is not as secure as a nut and washer. Mustang restoration books reference using the snaps that are machined and securing with washer and nut. The only snaps I've seen machined are those for the body portion of the top boot. Scott Drake makes this kit.

Can the snaps from the Scott Drake kit be used for the quarter panels? I can't recall if the snaps look different between the two locations, body versus quarter panel.

Here's the kit with machined snaps and washer/nuts: http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-convertible-top-boot-snap-kit-1965-1966/p/HW3105/

Offline MyRed66GT

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
Are you talking about the snaps that are on the upholstered part of the interior panels? If so, no they are not the same as the one on the body. NPD sells a pricey little tool to install the correct ones on your interior panels.

Offline Chris

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »
The snaps are already installed in the quarter panels, punched through the vinyl covering and panel. What I need is a means to secure them. It looks like the pop rivet washer was used by the upholstery shop and is not holding when connecting and then unsnapping the top boot cover. I'm guessing the NPD tool just installs the snap but does not secure it in any way? It seems like the quarter panel snaps are held throgh tension between the snap shaft and panel. This is not very secure it seems and not effective with a top boot cover that goes on tight. I'm surprised there is no better means to secure the snaps than the pop rivet washer...without modifying the snap (as suggested) by drilling a screw through the snap and attaching a nut.

Offline aaatp

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »
Chris: I used a small tap, I think a 6-32, and tapped the hollow tube part of the snap. Then just used a small washer and a machine screw ,cut to the proper length, to attach the snap to the panel. Works great, you will want
To double check the tap and screw size though I can't remember the exact size I used

John

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 01:35:39 AM »

Yes, without buying the expensive tool from NPD, You can use small washers, and a screw on the backside.  That will secure the snaps really nice.  Take a trip with one of the snaps down to the local hardware store and get some small washers and small screws.  You can paint them black when done so they are less noticeable when the top is down.

PS:  Has anyone here ever bought the snap tool from NPD and used it?  I have to do two sets of rear convertible quarter panels soon, and was wondering how well the tool works and whether I should actually spring for one.     Anyone ever use the one from NPD??

Tony K.
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001