Author Topic: Replacing instrument panel lights  (Read 4770 times)

Offline Chris

Replacing instrument panel lights
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:52:50 PM »
I want to replace my stock instrument panel lights with LED replacement lights. I bought these a couple of years ago and am just getting around to swapping them out. In reading up on the procedure, I noticed that the stock lights are amber in color and when used in conjunction with the blue lenses in the instrument panel, the standard green light color is produced.

I noticed that the LEDs I bought are white LEDs (see attached pic). So, if I put these in, what color will I get out...blue from the blue lens covers? I need help figuring out the correct LEDs to use for the standard 65 instrument panel (but with GEN and not ALT). I want to have the stock green light appearance, and so I think I need to get all amber LEDs except for the turn signal indicator light that needs to be white behind the green cover.

Thanks,
Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline mjd 65

Re: Replacing instrument panel lights
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
The stock lights on my 65 were clear 1895 bulbs behind the bluish-green lenses.  I guess the incandescent bulbs tend to give a yellowish light, but I've never seen actual amber bulbs used in that application.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:50:38 PM »
The stock lights on my 65 were clear 1895 bulbs behind the bluish-green lenses.  I guess the incandescent bulbs tend to give a yellowish light, but I've never seen actual amber bulbs used in that application.

+1
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Portrodder1

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:37 PM »
When I changed to LED bulbs in my 66 I used green LED bulbs and removed the blue filters for brighter and more light on the dash, and they give off that greenish color.  If you want to keep that original look stay with the white LED bulbs and replace the filters, makes a big difference if you use the original type bulbs or LED

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
There were several entries on this forum that "poo-pooed" the installation of fog lights on a 64 (and a half for youse purists) so the use of any LED lamps on a 64-73 Mustang (and others) would possibly fall into this same category, if it did not come from the factory, don't do it.
On the other hand, I may use some on my 66 hardtop daily driver, but I won't advertise it.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
There were several entries on this forum that "poo-pooed" the installation of fog lights on a 64 (and a half for youse purists) so the use of any LED lamps on a 64-73 Mustang (and others) would possibly fall into this same category, if it did not come from the factory, don't do it.
On the other hand, I may use some on my 66 hardtop daily driver, but I won't advertise it.
Jim

I think there is a big difference between fog lights on a 64-1/2 and LED instrument panel lights. The foglights would be visibly  incorrect on a 64-1/2 and would require irreversible modifications to the car.  The LED lights would not be obvious and could easily be removed without damaging the car.  Such a modification is similar to using an electronic voltage regulator while driving the car, but switching to a correct mechanical regulator when showing the car.  Having said that, I prefer my 65 all original, including my dim and flickering incandescent dash lights!   ;D
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:33:44 PM »
I think there is a big difference between fog lights on a 64-1/2 and LED instrument panel lights. The foglights would be visibly  incorrect on a 64-1/2 and would require irreversible modifications to the car.  The LED lights would not be obvious and could easily be removed without damaging the car.
Ah, an advocate of the John Cena school of concourse restorations, if you can't see it, it don't exist. To be realistic, fog lights on a 64 Mustang would be difficult for a casual observer to notice that they were not offered by Ford as a factory option for that year. Without opening the hood or looking at a door data tag, you are hard pressed to tell the difference between a 64 and a 65. The only way would be to measure the Mustang logo on the fender, OK 13 inch wheels too. LED instrument lights could only be identified by seeing them on. I also note with a chuckle that if you call up 66 Ford Mustang NOS on e-bay you will get many LED "NOS" lights. That fits the tale that the Chinese invented the microwave oven three thousand years ago (I have a Chinese microwave cookbook). I have made every attempt to use NOS, used or reproduction (than you Scott Drake and others) parts on my cars. It's a goal. It's difficult (and getting expensive).
Again, I might consider replacing my incandescent instrument panel lights on my daily driver but would not use them on either of my Fastbacks, a 65 GT and a 66 GT.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 04:45:27 PM »
[quote author=mjd 65    I prefer my 65 all original, including my dim and flickering incandescent dash lights!   

Had to laugh.  Do any of these cars have decent dash/gauge lighting ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
[quote author=mjd 65    I prefer my 65 all original, including my dim and flickering incandescent dash lights!   

Had to laugh.  Do any of these cars have decent dash/gauge lighting ?  Brian

I seem to remember in the late 60's not having a problem seeing the dash at night.  I wonder if 40+ years later it might be my eyesight that's going bad.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 12:43:19 AM »
Well, I installed the white LEDs with the stock blue filters and the instrument lights have the same green appearance as it did with the original bulbs. Still kind of dim though, not as bright as I expected...may be due to the old blue filters. I did not take the instrument panal apart to check the condition of the filters (to see if they may be melted). One difference to note so far, the Oil and GEN red lights are a lot brighter, making the red a brighter red than I'm used to seeing. This may be the only indicator to tell that LEDs are in use. I did break a couple during installation while trying to seat and twist them into locking position. I twisted the head of the LED and it spun freely (and no longer works) although it did not break off...watch out for this during installation, don't twist too much (this was the 5 cluster LED type, not single LED that looks like the stock bulb).

Also, for 64 1/2, a sure visual indicator that it's not a 65 is the 260 V8 badging on the side...no 65s with this engine of course.
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 07:41:33 AM »
When I changed to LED bulbs in my 66 I used green LED bulbs and removed the blue filters for brighter and more light on the dash, and they give off that greenish color.  If you want to keep that original look stay with the white LED bulbs and replace the filters, makes a big difference if you use the original type bulbs or LED

I also used the Hipo brand LEDs on my dash, using green bulbs without the filters and it really brightened it up.    It does look green but very acceptable ( to me, anyway) at night.
Greg Z