Author Topic: Blue Interior  (Read 4146 times)

Offline Moodster

Blue Interior
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:55:24 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I think you guys may be the only ones that can help me.  I'm trying to return my blue interior back to concours.  However I've seen 69 "Light Blue" interiors where the dashpad, console, etc matched the door panels, seats, etc.  But I've also seen 69 light blue interiors where the dashpad, console and carpet were of a darker blue color than the upholstery.  Which is correct?  I've included two pictures to demonstrate what I'm talking about. 

Thank you,
David

priceless

Re: Blue Interior
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:09:06 PM »
I'd say it would have to do something with deluxe interior vs. standard interior. The top photo is a deluxe interior and the bottom photo is a standard interior. JMO

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the forum but I think you guys may be the only ones that can help me.  I'm trying to return my blue interior back to concours. .............

Welcome to the site Moodster hope you find the information useful

Something Newbees often forget is to include (on just about every post ;) to include when and where your car was built plus what ever additional information you think might be helpful. This way respondents can try and tayior the answer to your specific needs. All too often we find that something is different from plant to plant and from month to month for example. Sometimes its the different suppliers who sent different parts to different plants. We continue to discover new details such as this all the time and its often a result of questions posted here.

So to start out - When and where was your car built and as Priceless mentioned it might be helpful to provide if your working on a deluxe, grande or standard interior.

Also in general quit looking at "restored=" cars  ;)

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:31:49 AM »
The deluxe one is more correct.  The top one maybe/probaly dyed, but the bottom one surely has been dyed.  I have a 70 coupe and the dash is light blue. It match's my 69 driver coupe and I have an NOS blue dash pad going into my 69 R code coupe. They all match.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »

Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 03:26:03 PM »
According to the 64.5-73 Mustang recognition guide, Page 153,  the top photo looks to be the Grande' Deluxe Décor Interior (not dyed). With the Unique Grande' Bucket seats w/ Hopsack cloth inserts.

Note: Under, Interior it says "including the following items".

Almost identical to the Mach1 interior except for the Mach1's high back bucket seats. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 03:31:52 PM by priceless »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
According to the 64.5-73 Mustang recognition guide, Page 153,  the top photo looks to be the Grande' Deluxe Décor Interior (not dyed). With the Unique Grande' Bucket seats w/ Hopsack cloth inserts.

Note: Under, Interior it says "including the following items".

Almost identical to the Mach1 interior except for the Mach1's high back bucket seats.

Yes the first example is from a Grande. Since the po never mentioned which blue interior or body style, I thought we would throw it out there also.

The interior differs also in the rear quarter trim (on coupes)  and passenger side dash trim
Jeff Speegle

Offline Moodster

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »
Wow, lots of good comments...  my 69 fastback was built at San Jose with a "2B" light blue Kiwi vinyl standard interior.  As many photos show, the kickpanel is much darker than the doors and it seems like Ford was trying to tie the color of the carpet, kickpanels, seatbelts and dashpad area together.  Here is a picture of my car - I believe everything is original.  Note the color of the seatbelts, kickpanels, etc. 

priceless

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
With the blue exterior (look like acapulco blue from looking at the door jamb) and the two tone blue interior, that would make for a really neat and eye catching color combo.

I noticed your interior door handles/arm rests are dark blue also.

Offline Moodster

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 09:45:46 AM »
The car is actually Winter Blue.  The driver side armrest in is bad shape however I think you may be correct... it does almost look like it matches the carpet.  I wish there were more documentation on what Ford was trying to accomplish with their interior colors.

David

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »
The car is actually Winter Blue.  The driver side armrest in is bad shape however I think you may be correct... it does almost look like it matches the carpet.  I wish there were more documentation on what Ford was trying to accomplish with their interior colors.

David - not sure if their intent is that important today for what we do - thing its what they did that counts ;)

Different suppliers were almost never able to get exact matches (or even close sometimes) to other suppliers colors - then add the different batches and stuff. Perfect examples might be the 69 Mach I seats with the red inserts - color depended on batch. And the two colors are very different

Just a thought
Jeff Speegle

Offline Moodster

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »
David - not sure if their intent is that important today for what we do - thing its what they did that counts ;)

Agreed and I think you're right... in many cases it was just Ford getting different parts from different suppliers. If that's the case then does concours judging involve documenting certain colors on the interior?  Aside from knowing the basic color it would be hard to justify if a different shade is correct right? 

Thanks,
David

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
That arm rest could be a 70?  It does look dark compared to mine. Mine are much closer to the door panel color and they are originals.  but ya never can say never.
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0