Author Topic: Emberglo Pony Interior Emberglo Paint Shades  (Read 1493 times)

Offline mmus65tang

Emberglo Pony Interior Emberglo Paint Shades
« on: July 23, 2021, 01:10:49 AM »
Working on painting the interior fiberglass panels and metal trim on my 1966 Mustang GT, Hipo, with a scheduled build date of August 12th in Detroit. The car has a deluxe pony interior with a Trim code of 64 which is Emberglo and Parchment. I am trying to match the correct shade of paint for the emberglo fiberglass panels and the metal trim that surrounds these pieces in the back seat. I found an article on the net which had a table of Mustang interior colors and paint codes for the 66 Mustang. The chart came from Larry Dobb's book "How to Restore Your Mustang". This color chart lists two emberglo colors for trim code 64 - 1) Medium Emberglo Ditzler 60485 and 2) Dark Emberglo Ditzler 50721. So, my question is to anyone on this forum who has restored a 66 with emberglow/parchment pony interior is there two different shades of emberglo used in the interior and if so, which items were painted medium emberglo and which were painted dark emberglo? The Ditzler paint numbers are old and my automotive paint store can not reference them. So, I am left using the existing parts and trying to get my paint store to mix up a close match. My interior parts are 50 plus years old so they are sun faded and it is not easy to see any significant shade differences. Can anyone help with any information on whether trim 64 should have two shades of emberglo used in the interior and which parts were lighter and which were darker. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 02:56:07 PM by mmus65tang »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Emberglo Pony Interior Emberglo Paint Shades
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 06:40:48 PM »
Interesting color combination and documentation. Looking at repair guides of the period that particular color paint is not listed. Odd

Having seen a fair number of unrestored 66 with this interior combination I can recall any difference between the painted panels except for the possibility that the speaker grill might have been a darker color to closer match the dash pad around it.  Just a possibility as I don't have an unrestored car that I could remove the grill and lay it against the other painted panels for comparison

There is a example of an unrestored car with this interior combination in that section of the site. But guess you've already seen that and found it very lacking as I only uploaded a single interior picture. Too many other great details to show at the time. I will post some more interior pictures.

Couple of examples for others viewing the thread in the hope it might help someone.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Online 196667Bob

Re: Emberglo Pony Interior Emberglo Paint Shades
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 10:09:15 PM »
Just to provide some Ford documentation, Ford's official 1966 Color Chart does show both Dark and Medium Emberglo. Pictures attached.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909