Author Topic: 1969 Dearborn Hood blackout  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

1969 Dearborn Hood blackout
« on: November 04, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
1969 Hood blackout paint - is it textured, smooth or either??

Photos for this topic can be referenced here: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4435.msg24634#msg24634

The Metuchen Mach I I have pictures of with original paint really looks like textrued paint.  Some of the pictures Jeff posted are textured paint. Checked with two head bigshot judge types and they both say no, semi gloss black lacquer only.

Book say Black enamel.  Interviews with the guy on the line said black lacquer.

This is for a Dearborn produced Mach I made in January 69.

Its Monday. - Dave

Offline Dave Stribling

Re: 1969 Dearborn Hood blackout
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:48:08 PM »
Just got this from a friend.  Original 69 hood with original paint. Texture finish wth flat black stripe shaker hood. Dunno plant. - Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 09:09:13 PM »
............Book say Black enamel.  Interviews with the guy on the line said black lacquer.

"Book"  ??  Dave what book are you referring to - the assembly manual?

You referred to my pictures posted earlier and I think its going to be difficult to tell the type of paint from those. We "know" that the pinstrip was applied at a different time and I think it was applied with the roller style hand held machine that was so popular at the time. Lacquer is the most logical paint giving drying time and other benefits
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Dave Stribling

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »
Yeah the Osborn "book" reprint just says black enamel. Black lacquer makes he most sense since it dried faster.