Author Topic: Date Code for 1967?  (Read 1045 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Date Code for 1967?
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:33:52 PM »
I need to order some parts for the fuel system on a '67 coupe I just picked up.  Until now, I didn't know that there's an early and late version of the fuel line.  The date code on the data plate is 05M.  Does that mean the car was built in December 1966?  If so, that would mean it uses the early fuel line, since Ford apparently switched to the later style sometime in February 1967.

I just wanted to be sure I'm decoding the date code correctly, as I want to get the right parts the first time!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 67gta289

Re: Date Code for 1967?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
December 66 is the correct interpretation.  I can offer that my Dec 66 SJ is the "early" version that runs along the driveshaft next to the rear brake line.  The change was most likely for safety, considering a blown out driveshaft u-joint that sends the driveshaft flailing about.

That said, it is not unheard of for different assembly plants to have different change over dates.  Probably not for a safety issue, if that is indeed the reason.  It would be interesting to hear from some others.

What plant was yours assembled at?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 01:56:45 AM »
I guess we should discuss projected (or best guess) build dates on door tags and real build dates (from Marti reports for example)

The door tag date was the best estimate made when the order was entered into the plants order system and the VIN was assigned. Those dates can be off up at least three weeks (almost a month) earlier or later than the real date - though in some cases they are close.

Would not suggest using them to determine correct/original parts or features

What plant was your car built at  and a VIN? might help
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
I guess we should discuss projected (or best guess) build dates on door tags and real build dates (from Marti reports for example)

The door tag date was the best estimate made when the order was entered into the plants order system and the VIN was assigned. Those dates can be off up at least three weeks (almost a month) earlier or later than the real date - though in some cases they are close.

Would not suggest using them to determine correct/original parts or features

What plant was your car built at  and a VIN? might help

It's a Metuchen built '67.  I don't have the VIN with me right now, but will post it as soon as I can.
Too much junk, too little time.