Author Topic: April Dearborn 64 build, Underside color  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Dave Stribling

April Dearborn 64 build, Underside color
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
Need to respray the underside of our car.  Semi gloss black or grayish black or anythying in between?  Were any of the early cars painted red oxide (save me please). Not the same color as chassis black? Anyone? Beuller? Thanks - Dave

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: April Dearborn 64 build, Underside color
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
Yes, red oxide or black is most typical.  If I didn't know how a car came, I'd be searching out cars close in production at the same plant to get an idea of what was being used at that time period.  You can get by with either one from an authenticity perspective, black/grayish-black might have been more common though.  Also, consider that there would be several stations where primer was sprayed, so there can be different colors on one car.  We've discussed this at length in the past, probably some good info to be found using search.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Little Guy

• 64 1/2 Original owner
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:33 PM »
My original owner car has the most of the bottom painted the same as the body, vintage burgundy.  I cleaned of the bottom in 2011 after all those years of grease build up and discovered it. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 12:56:22 AM »
My original owner car has the most of the bottom painted the same as the body, vintage burgundy.  I cleaned of the bottom in 2011 after all those years of grease build up and discovered it.

That (body and undercarriage completely the same) would be a VERY unusual find. Might this just be a case of heavy/ allot of body color overspray?

Is it a unpainted (repainted) Dearborn car?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 01:03:50 AM »
Need to respray the underside of our car.  Semi gloss black or grayish black or anythying in between?  Were any of the early cars painted red oxide (save me please). Not the same color as chassis black? Anyone? Beuller? Thanks - Dave

So something around the #116xxx period

I've got examples from before that period showing a dark gray batch and those even closer (#160xxx) a much darker almost black or black

Sorry best I can offer at this time
Jeff Speegle

Offline Little Guy

• 64 1/2 Original owner
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »
Jeff, mine is an original Dearborn car and the bottom has never been reapinted. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
Jeff, mine is an original Dearborn car and the bottom has never been reapinted.

Have you taken the time to cut through a couple of floor pan drips?
Jeff Speegle

Offline Little Guy

• 64 1/2 Original owner
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 08:11:49 PM »
No I haven't Jeff.  What would that accomplish?  Prove what the underlying paint, if any, is?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 08:17:28 PM »
No I haven't Jeff.  What would that accomplish?  Prove what the underlying paint, if any, is?

Yes it would confirm or give an idea of what color was shot on the floors by the jets mounted below the body (as it pasted over) and if it is different from what your seeing on top.

That way we could maybe figure out what happened on your car to get the results you found ;)
Jeff Speegle