Author Topic: Locating pins for Horse emblems on 69 Mach 1  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Kiwi428

Locating pins for Horse emblems on 69 Mach 1
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:43:38 AM »
Guys, slight set back, when one of the pins holding the emblems broke off while trying to slide the emblem down. Anyone faced a similar problem and how did you fix that. car all painted, absolutely gutted :(

Offline Kiwi428

Pins locating Running Horse Emblem 69 Mach1
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:50:05 AM »
Guys, had a slight set back, while sliding down the rear horse emblem, one of the locating pins has broken off. Has anyone had this happen and how did you fix it? Absolutely gutted. cars all painted. :(

Cheers john

Offline cobrajetchris

Re: Pins locating Running Horse Emblem 69 Mach1
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »
You have a couple of options, the first is probably the best since your car is already painted. A small self tapping type screw can be put in place of the pin. Drill a very small hole in the exact location of the original pin and install the screw in the hole. Before you do anything find a screw that will secure tight to the emblem just like the original weld on pin. You may have to grind some of the screw head off to make it fit. Make sure the hole is drilled to the correct size to give the screw good bite. Once you are able to install the emblem I would remove it and back the screw back out and install some thread lock as you will not be running the screw all the way down tight to allow for the emblem to slide in between the head of the screw and the body.
  The second method is using a stud gun that actually welds a pin just like the original in place. The only problem is paint will have to be removed in an area the size of a half dollar to ground the metal. This of course would require the proper tools and repainting of the area. I would try the first method and I think you will be fine.
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline jmlay

Re: Locating pins for Horse emblems on 69 Mach 1
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 04:16:57 PM »
Someone makes a screw that looks like the stud when installed, usually used for broken studs on window trim. Right now I am unable to locate a source but I know I have seen them.
Mike

1969 Mach1 428 CJ Ram Air
San Jose
Scheduled Build: 1/2/1969
Actual Build: 1/3/1969
Released: 1/8/1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pins locating Running Horse Emblem 69 Mach1
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 10:01:36 PM »
I've used rivets  or a screw with a close in size head if I didn't catch it before paint. If caught before I've used the stud of a dent puller (small stud that is welded to a panel to attach a slide hammer) Just have to premeasure and test a couple of times to get the correct off set from the surface
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
3M emblem adhesive is commonly used for the 65/66 MUSTANG lettering for GT's.  I've used it successfully after I removed all of the pins.  Part 08061 and it is a clear adhesive.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline fastwayfirebird400

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
The studs I used when I replaced my full quarter panel (they don't come pre-installed) was Au-ve-co  # 9877 I have a whole box of them if you need two pm me and I'll send you some.

Offline Kiwi428

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Cheers everyone, I had thought of a couple ideas which were listed but now I see there are some studs available I might try getting them.
The forum is awesome and a credit to those who support it.

Thanks guys