Author Topic: Drive shaft direction  (Read 2436 times)

Offline smines80

Drive shaft direction
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
May seem like a stupid question, but I tool my drive shaft and yoke apart 18 years ago when I started restoring my 65 A code.  Now I don't know which end it goes back on, the end with the balancing weights, right?  The two colored stripes are on the opposite/rearend side, correct?     
1965 coupe, black on red, "A" code 289, 4 speed
5T07A176596

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Drive shaft direction
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 11:42:09 PM »
Weights were applied to both/either end so their location will not help you

Are the colored stripes original and towards one end (approx 1/3 from the end?   IF so I would place those to the rear

BTW welcome to the site - hope you find it useful in your efforts.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:02 AM »
The direction shouldn't matter, assuming the shaft is spin-balanced with the yoke installed on whichever end you choose.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline smines80

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, I plan on buggin y'all while doing this restore.  Yes, I can barely see through all the grime and sound coating that's on the shaft, both a green and pinkish strip down towards the rear end side.  I'm hoping to install the yoke back on the correct side and hope all goes well without getting it balanced.  Have had a hard time getting this shaft done around here in Columbia, SC.  A shop put a small dent in it that I'm going to try to pull back out.

With the engine harness that runs down the drivers side valve cover, what bolt holds the "J" clip that holds the harness?  Corner valve cover bolt, intake manifold bolt?   

On another note, my car shows a build date of 12 June 64, at the NJ plant.  But it has all the changes made over from the "64 1/2" cars. I thought all 64 1/2 cars were April to July 1964, guess I'm wrong.  Its a A code 289 car, with a 4 speed, eight inch rear with a 3.00 ratio, black on red. 
5T07A176596

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »
Probably best to start a new topic for different questions.  Helps others in the future when doing searches and makes it easier for others to catch new questions.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »
On another note, my car shows a build date of 12 June 64, at the NJ plant.  But it has all the changes made over from the "64 1/2" cars. I thought all 64 1/2 cars were April to July 1964, guess I'm wrong.  Its a A code 289 car, with a 4 speed, eight inch rear with a 3.00 ratio, black on red.

As Charles  said, these questions probably should be raised in a separate thread.  However, I would note you must be misreading your build date, because Metuchen did not begin production until February 65.
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline smines80

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »
Copy that, will post my build tag in another area, thanks.
5T07A176596

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »
IF you have any undercoating on the drive line you'll want to remove it or it may cause an problem with the balance

As for direction of the driveline many got installed backwards or 180 degrees off when the U joints were replaced or the driveline was removed. This was a cause (according to Ford)  made them start to mark one of the rear ears with a paint mark so that they would be reinstalled in the same spot by dealers doing work on the cars.

Just a little more info ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)