Author Topic: Too Much Pedal Travel on '66 with Disc Brakes  (Read 2615 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Too Much Pedal Travel on '66 with Disc Brakes
« on: September 29, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
Hi guys, I'm troubleshooting a brake problem on my '66 fastback.  It's a GT model, so it has factory disc brakes on the front.  So far, I've had the original master cylinder, front calipers, and proportioning valve professionally rebuilt.  Other than these items, literally every other piece of the brake system is new, and was replaced less than 2 years ago when the car was restored.  The system is completely leak free, and we have bled both the front and rear wheels multiple times, as well as made sure the rear brake shoes are adjusted correctly.

The problem I'm having is that there just doesn't seem to be enough stopping force.  Compared to my factory disc-brake equipped '65 convertible, the fastback's brakes are downright scary.  It doesn't exactly have a mushy brake pedal, like something's leaking down or fluid is bypassing something, it just has a lot of pedal travel before you even get any brakes.  And when the brakes start applying, it just feels like there's very little stopping power there.  While I can stop the car, it feels like it wouldn't even lock the wheels if I ever had to panic stop.

A few months ago, I thought the original, rebuilt master cylinder might've been leaking down.  I installed a new Raybestos master cylinder, but it didn't help anything at all.  Since then, I've bled the system time and time again, I've driven the car a fair amount hoping the brakes might finally start to perform better, but so far, nothing works.

Could I possibly have the wrong pushrod for the master cylinder?  I can't think of anything else it could be at this point.  I've even thought about fabricating an adjustable pushrod to see if it helps any.  Can anyone offer any more ideas?  Does anyone possibly have a disc brake pushrod they could measure for me?
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline mjd 65

Re: Too Much Pedal Travel on '66 with Disc Brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
Is it possible your disc brake pedal was swapped for a drum brake pedal?  See the thread below.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5863.0
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 09:50:22 PM »
Is it possible your disc brake pedal was swapped for a drum brake pedal?  See the thread below.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5863.0

That's an interesting thought.  The car had 63k miles and appeared to be untouched/unrestored when I first bought it, but of course, anything is possible!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline gjz30075

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Does the FB have the same front pads, ie, brand/composition, as the convertible?

Greg Z
Greg Z

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
Wrong size or out of adjustment rear wheel cylinders could be the problem.

Offline zray

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:55:30 AM »
once the hardware is verified as being  correct, consider changing the pads to either ebc redstuff or Porterfield RS-4.  My experience is with the ebc red stuff pads, but thePorterfield 's have a great following as well.

The grip with my ebc redstuff pads was a phenomenal improvement over the stock type pads sold by the major Mustang supply houses, and equally better than some NOS pads I have tried.  When you have the right friction material, and the system is working properly, you will have enough braking force to lock up the wheels at speed repeatedly. Though, of course, maximum control is achieved just prior to lock up.

Working properly, It's a good system that's easy to control how much braking force you apply.

Z.
Looking for '65-'68 manual V-8 coupe
that doesn't need a new body