Author Topic: Correct 3rd member casting date for July 65 car  (Read 1978 times)

Offline 65fastbk

Correct 3rd member casting date for July 65 car
« on: January 05, 2014, 02:18:33 AM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a date appropriate 3rd member for my July 12 built k car.  It is San Jose built. Does any one have a car near that build date with an original date coded 3rd member?

Thanks!!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Correct 3rd member casting date for July 65 car
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »
Looking at other examples built at San Jose that spring into summer difference between the projected build date and the casting date of a 9" third member appears to be approx one month to maybe two months. Pretty tight time period compared to other parts on the car considering we're talking casting not assemble dates

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff! I was looking at one that has a casting date of June 17th for the 3rd housing and June 24th for the pinion support, is that way to close?

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
Probably acceptable, considering your "build" date may be off as well.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:50:26 AM »
Thanks Midlife!  Does anyone have a San Jose car near that date that I can reference?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »
Probably acceptable, considering your "build" date may be off as well.

+1 looking at other examples from that year and plant
Jeff Speegle

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 08:46:03 PM »
Thanks, Looking to see If I should get it...but was wondering if it was to close (16 days) to the build date (July 12) (even though it could be off anyways)  Appreciate all the help!!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
Thanks, Looking to see If I should get it...but was wondering if it was to close (16 days) to the build date (July 12) (even though it could be off anyways)  Appreciate all the help!!

Focusing on the other posters response and not enough on the dates you posted. :(

Since your getting a third member for your car and its not original (in which the dates might be explained by the "projected build date" idea) I would agree that purchasing and explaining a third member that close to the door tag date would not what I would do. Not enough time to cast, machine, build the sub assembly, inspect it,  assemble the third member into the rearend housing, ship across the country and installed it in the car

Your going to have to look some more IMHO but at least you've got a window to aim for - good luck
Jeff Speegle

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »
Your going to have to look some more IMHO but at least you've got a window to aim for - good luck

Thanks Jeff! So should I be focusing on 1 month minimum to 2 months back...Would an April 5 casting be to much time (3 mon and a few days)...Sorry for the redundant questions, Just want to make sure I look for the right one:)  Do you have any data on one near my date and the casting on that car?

Thanks Again!

Offline Brant

• Virginia Classic Mustang Inc
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 03:24:14 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking for a date appropriate 3rd member for my July 12 built k car.  It is San Jose built. Does any one have a car near that build date with an original date coded 3rd member?

Thanks!!

What is your VIN (last 6 digits-or at least the first 3 digits of the 6)?  If it's around 242xxx, I may have a couple of examples to share.

Offline 65fastbk

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 03:39:02 PM »
Hi Brant!

The First 3 are 243XXX.

thanks,

Mark