Author Topic: Paint ok stamp - Late 66 Dearborn  (Read 6263 times)

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
Re: Paint ok stamp
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »
 "In country" meaning in France or in the USA? It looks like this stamp was applied before the outer shock tower cover was put on the car as the stamp is under the bolt and it doesn't look like the bolt has been removed or replaced?? (there is no evidence of the wear pattern like when you remove a bolt or replace it as these star type bolts usually scratch up the paint.) Was it perhaps an export stamp from the factory denoting the car was for export?? Looks like the first word is "Quality" something. Just my 2 cents. :)
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
 Looks like I'm wrong about the export as the DSO is appearently Jacksonville. But maybe an export stamp just the same?? :o
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 12:43:02 PM »
"In country" meaning in France or in the USA?

France

It looks like this stamp was applied before the outer shock tower cover was put on the car as the stamp is under the bolt and it doesn't look like the bolt has been removed or replaced?? (there is no evidence of the wear pattern like when you remove a bolt or replace it as these star type bolts usually scratch up the paint.) Was it perhaps an export stamp from the factory denoting the car was for export?? Looks like the first word is "Quality" something. Just my 2 cents. :)

If you notice the scars from the star washer are different front the star arms. looks like they are off IMHO

Your correct the first word appears to be in English (would end in a "e" if french) though that spelling is correct in Perisan and I'm not aware of which was used in what part of the country in the 60's. The French can be very particular about language ;)  followed by a number and other letters/numbers

Last word looks something like AFP?CAFIB? or AFPACA?D?  Not sure if we'll ever figure it out from this picture alone

Have never seen this stamp on another export - even ones going to France - so far. ;) But other export cars I've seen from NJ going to Europe didn't have this

Looks like I'm wrong about the export as the DSO is appearently Jacksonville. But maybe an export stamp just the same?? :o

Depends IMHO when the car was imported/exported.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Hipo giddyup

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 03:01:16 PM »
 Thanks for your insight. So would a Mustang ordered for export have a blank DSO?? Or some other designation to reference a specific region or country being exported to? I had a person in my community that had a 1968 Mustang coupe he had said was an exported coupe that was later brought back to the US. But, I do not remember seeing any visible difference with it such as the KM speedo, etc. He told me he was in the service and had bought the Mustang in the late 60's while stationed in Europe. He liked the car so much that he had it imported back from Spain. Not sure how true the story was.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
Thanks for your insight. So would a Mustang ordered for export have a blank DSO?? Or some other designation to reference a specific region or country being exported to?

No there were codes used for export models but don't think anyone has found a relationship between specific countries and codes that works through the years.

That's one of there might be T5's out there that were not originally T5's ;)

I had a person in my community that had a 1968 Mustang coupe he had said was an exported coupe that was later brought back to the US. But, I do not remember seeing any visible difference with it such as the KM speedo, etc. He told me he was in the service and had bought the Mustang in the late 60's while stationed in Europe. He liked the car so much that he had it imported back from Spain. Not sure how true the story was.
[/quote]

Changes to the cars from US requirements were different depending on were the car was coded to go and to whom. Example, in some countries a car was configured one way and if purchased through a US base in country by a US citizen it might be slightly different or exactly the same. Export cars (though few and rare came allot of different ways (some had numbers instead of letter engine codes) some received HD suspension as part of being export cars were others did not. Sometimes little changes were left to the importing district where they converted/made changes to the car if the plant couldn't or they were small differences (light bulbs or lens colors come to mind)  Sometimes the new country required new licensing labels so the export cars are a challenge as they are more dissimilar than similar in many cases
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)