Author Topic: Shock Tower Bracket/Cowl Braces  (Read 3575 times)

Offline jatkinson

Shock Tower Bracket/Cowl Braces
« on: October 01, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »
I have a early Metuchen build 70 Mach 1. Looking for some help with the correct finish for the shock tower bracket and cowl braces?
1970 Metuchen Mach1 Medium Red 351C 4v Auto PB Shaker Black Interior

priceless

Re: Shock Tower Bracket/Cowl Braces
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:11:00 PM »
I have a 69 mach1, Metuchen built, Feb 24, '69.

My shock tower brackets/caps are natural and my cowl braces are semi gloss black. This is correct for Metuchen built 69-70 Mustangs.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »
I have a early Metuchen build 70 Mach 1. Looking for some help with the correct finish for the shock tower bracket

Phosphate & oil

and cowl braces?

Semi-gloss black - believed dipped so slightly more glossy than (for example) engine pulleys
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »
jatkinson- According to the MCA concours judging rules for 69-70:

Page 7. Engine compartment:
W. Firewall and inner fender panels:
Painted semi-gloss black. Shock tower braces-Dearborn,slop gray-All others semi-gloss black.
Shock tower caps-Natural.

That's straight out of the MCA website judging rules for concours 69-70 Mustangs.

Hope this helps.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 02:26:18 AM »
.......Shock tower caps-Natural.

That's straight out of the MCA website judging rules for concours 69-70 Mustangs.

Of course this isn't the MCA and OP asked what the finish should be not what MCA was looking for ;)  but for all viewing - MCA has used the term "natural" for about 30 years to identify parts not painted. The piece can still be plated (phosphate and oil, zinc, dichromate....) and be described as "natural"   just not painted. - SO for MCA rules - Natural does not always ( in fact rarely) mean bare steel ;)

As a side note MCA wording (guessing the quote provided was from the 69-70 rules) is incorrect/not complete since natural/plated is not correct since San Jose used a different provider and those brackets are semi-gloss black. That subject and discussion took place about 12 years ago at two consecutive judges meetings. The head judge and other gold card 69-70 judges are aware of this detail - they judged a number of them at Indy this years (69-70 San Jose built cars) and I don't believe any of them received deductions for that detail.

i know its unfortunate and the correct finish should be described so owners, builders and all judges (decent ones know what the "correct" finish should be)  but we've not been able to get all the right people to up date the classes they are responsible for to include more details though a number of us attempted and succeed in a small percentage of all the rules  a few years back before the ship got lighter ;)

OF course details like this would be covered and taught if we still had Judging classes and seminars :0
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:31:42 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

priceless

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:19 AM »
W. Firewall and Inner Fender Panels: Painted semi-gloss black. Shock tower braces - Dearborn, slop gray - all other, semi-gloss black. Shock tower caps, natural .................................. 2
X. Sound Deadener (Sealant): At proper places on firewall including any areas where components come through the firewall, such as wiring and heater motor. No sound deadener with documentation. Ground strap and bolt without undercoating (sound deadener applied before engine installed) ... 2
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness of items W through X ....................................................... 4
Y. Underside of Hood: Same color as exterior. Hood insulation on A/C non-ram air models and all Grandé ... 2
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 2
Z. Hood Release, Latch and Latch Support:
Release and Latch: Original style. Phosphate and oil finish.
Latch Support: Painted correct slop gray or semi-gloss black.

J_Speegle, straight from the MCA website concours Judging rules for 69-70 Mustangs. I'm just quoting to jatkinson EXACTLY what the rules say.

And, NO my wording was not wrong, in fact it is EXACTLY the same wording as the MCA rule.

By the way, this was copied and pasted and is exactly what came from the 69-70 concours judging rules. Check for yourself.......Have a good day.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:57:42 AM by priceless »

priceless

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
I'm sorry jatkinson, obvioulsy, J_speegle is the expert here and evidently MCA rules do not apply.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »
i'll chime in here a bit. i absolutely despise that word 'natural'. it gives the owner/restorer no guidance whatsoever as to the correct finish. i have proposed in the past that word be replaced with the term 'as manufactured'. then fully define the finish in the rules. my requests fell on deaf ears. i'm done.
5F09C331248

priceless

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 10:36:08 AM »
Just relaying what the MCA concours rules say.

Even though this is the "concours" mustang forum. The MCA "concours" rules do not apply. I'm finished too with this thread. Have a good day all.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
Just relaying what the MCA concours rules say.

Even though this is the "concours" mustang forum. The MCA "concours" rules do not apply. I'm finished too with this thread. Have a good day all.
I hate to say this but "as manufactured" could mean painted. "Natural" means without paint, or any surface treatment after fabrication. On steel parts, there may be residual oil that was used to facilitate stamping, forming or bending.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
i'll chime in here a bit. i absolutely despise that word 'natural'. it gives the owner/restorer no guidance whatsoever as to the correct finish. i have proposed in the past that word be replaced with the term 'as manufactured'. then fully define the finish in the rules. my requests fell on deaf ears. i'm done.

Yes it would help ALLOT more if we could all agree and put some effort into explaining, so it would be useful, what the finish was. Because of the word "natural" most of the time owners/builders will simply go bare metal :( unless they find some additional help.   Doesn't really IMHO much more additional space on the judging sheets or rule books - if so using a specific set of initials (PO for phosphate and oil for example) might take care of that concern.

Jeff Speegle