Author Topic: Correct interior paint to be sprayed with a spray gun?  (Read 7628 times)

Offline jtfx6552

Re: Correct interior paint to be sprayed with a spray gun?
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 09:40:22 AM »
Ha! 29K (October 29,  64), Dearborn.

edit, I decided to add it to my signature, along with an Avatar of me with the car in 1967.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:26:49 AM by jtfx6552 »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »

edit, I decided to add it to my signature, along with an Avatar of me with the car in 1967.

My car has a 27K schedule date at Dearborn which may have ended up the same
day or close for the actual build day!
Mine has a 34 DSO for Indianapolis, what was yours?
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 10:20:52 PM »

Great - Here is a couple of examples. Looks like they were having problems getting the detail right (or at least as we expected ) in 65 at Dearborn

Both examples show poor execution

Have 1966 Dearborn examples and they are more typical or what we see practiced at other plants - and allot nicer looking

Highlighted the first one since the interior and ext colors are so close to one another. Purple showing exterior color and masking pattern

Sorry currently don't have something closer to you date first example from June 64 and the second from Feb 65

Unfortunately Haven't been taking pictures of the bottom of the doors for that long :(

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:31:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 10:55:37 AM »
Here they are in PPG DBI

1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
Looks very nice!
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 12:53:33 AM »
Looks nice in the pic.  So no hardener/catalyst with DBI?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »
I believe the data sheet says you can use it, but I didn't.

From PPGs data sheet:
DX57 Basecoat Activator Option for DBC:
5% DX57 may be added to reduced DBC (1.6 oz. per RTS qt.).
DBC   DT Reducer   DX57
1   1                   5% per RTS
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:18:51 PM by jtfx6552 »

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »
Here are some pictures of the door that is now on the car. Drivers door spare parts are nice because generally they have a tag on them that sys how they left the factory. Using the vin tag, the car was a June 16 65 built dearborn car. It was originally vintage burgandy with a white crinkle interior. It has the same "step" in the interior paint that your photos show, actually it seems to have two steps.

Is it "safe" to paint my earlier built car this way? I hope so, i think it's what I'm gonna do.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Here are some pictures of the door that is now on the car. Drivers door spare parts are nice because generally they have a tag on them that sys how they left the factory. Using the vin tag, the car was a June 16 65 built dearborn car. It was originally vintage burgandy with a white crinkle interior. It has the same "step" in the interior paint that your photos show, actually it seems to have two steps.

Is it "safe" to paint my earlier built car this way? I hope so, i think it's what I'm gonna do.

It appears that this was the practice in the time before and the period after your car was built so One might assume that they were consistent from one period to the other. In this cases where what is found is slightly different from what might be expected for you class I would take a print out showing the detail and before the judging stated (during the into is a good time IMHO) offer to share what you found, what and why you choose this path so as not to surprise any of the judges if they found it and reduce the chance that you would receive a deduction if they figured someone restoring the car just screwed up ;)

That's what we've been suggesting for years to reduce issues
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2013, 02:40:04 AM »
My car has a 27K schedule date at Dearborn which may have ended up the same
day or close for the actual build day!
Mine has a 34 DSO for Indianapolis, what was yours?

Sorry I missed this post. My DSO is Philadelphia.

I'd love to know what details you found on your car? Mine had 64 1/2 style carpet. No spare tire dent on the inner wheel house, and no raised lip on the trunk floor around the bumper brackets to retain seam sealer.

Also curious if you know what color yours was on the bottom? And if the undercoating /sound deadener in the rear wheel wells was sloppy and on the side of the frame rails, or mostly just in the wheel well. Sorry for all the questions, lol.

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:40 PM »
Sorry I missed this post. My DSO is Philadelphia.

I'd love to know what details you found on your car? Mine had 64 1/2 style carpet. No spare tire dent on the inner wheel house, and no raised lip on the trunk floor around the bumper brackets to retain seam sealer.

Also curious if you know what color yours was on the bottom? And if the undercoating /sound deadener in the rear wheel wells was sloppy and on the side of the frame rails, or mostly just in the wheel well. Sorry for all the questions, lol.

My car was a basket case with severe rust everywhere! It had been
driven and exposed to the elements for many years here in the rust belt.
What I can help with is:

-Evidence of 64 1/2 carpet
-no spare tire dent in the inner wheelhouse
-black paint on the underside of the floor pan found up in the tunnel.
MCA # 00945

Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 10:05:02 PM »
Great! Thanks! From everything I can uncover mine was back on the bottom. Getting ready to shoot that soon so I am glad for more confirmation on that.

Good news on the spare tire dent. It was quite a bit of extra work to get the right inner for that.

I still have the original vinyl strips from the rocker. They are clean enough that I think I can reuse them!