Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Seat Belts  (Read 3542 times)

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
Need Help Identifying Seat Belts
« on: November 14, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »
Can anyone tell me which vehicle(s) these Seat Belts may have been used on? Photo 50 is the odd man out; there's only one and it has vinyl over the webbing on one end.

Thanks

Ray
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Need Help Identifying Seat Belts
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 12:35:11 AM »
The long ones look like big-Ford belts, but hard to say for sure.  The retractors do not go with the clam-shell buckles, notice the male ends of the other buckles are different.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 12:39:03 AM »
They look like 65-66 belts, at least the retractor is. The date coded one is 43 week 1965 so it would be for a 66. Note the difference in the square/rectangular hole. The rectangular hole is the standard tang that goes into the lift type latch. The square hole on the retractor usually goes into a push button type latch. The retractors are "odd men out", you need one more short belt to complete the set. Short ones are for the rear (I think). The long belts with the rubber over the mounting hole is standard for the rear and may even go on a Fastback.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:42:38 AM »
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:49 AM »
The retractors are '66-'67 Deluxe Seat Belt retractors.

The seatbelts themselves are standard '65-'66 Standard Seat belts. 

Your first picture  DSCN0045.jpg  tells the whole story.

From top to bottom, Here is what you have:

Belt#1 (Very top) looks like a short Front center male belt from a full size car. (NOT used in a Mustang) - Do not use.

Belt#2 (2nd down from top) - Male Front standard seat belt.  Bolts to left or right front Rocker Panel.

Belt#3 (3rd down from top) - Male Front standard seat belt.  Bolts to left or right front Rocker Panel.

Belt#4 (4th Down from top) - Female Rear standard seat belt with buckle. Bolts to left or right center wall behind Rear Seat next to trans tunnel.

Belt#5 (5th Down from top) - Female Rear standard seat belt with buckle. Bolts to left or right center wall behind Rear Seat next to trans tunnel.

Belt#6 (6th Down from top) - Female Front standard seat belt.  Bolts to left or right side of Front Trans tunnel right behind bucket seats.

Belt#7 (7th Down from top- Very bottom) - Female Front standard seat belt.  Bolts to left or right side of Front Trans tunnel right behind bucket seats.

You almost have a full set for a '65-'66 Mustang, but not quite.  You are missing both of the Rear seat Male outer belts. Each of these belts gets bolted to a nut housing on each of the inner rear wheel well braces. You might try hunting on Ebay for the missing rear outer belts.  They come up often.  The anchors for the rear Seat Belt Male belts should be identical to belt#4 and belt#5.  On early and mid '65 cars, the rear seat belts were optional, so there is no provision for rear seat belts behind the rear seat, but you can add them if the provisions for them are not there.

Again,  The retractors are '66-'67 Deluxe Seat Belt retractors, and CANNOT be used with these Standard seat belts.  They are meant for '66-'67 Deluxe Belts only, so you can hang onto them if you ever run into a set of Deluxe belts the same color or dump them on ebay.  They are used only in coupes or fastbacks, and will not fit in convertibles.

Hope this helps!

Any questions?

Tony K.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 01:34:48 AM by NEFaurora »
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline carlizard

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »
Here's a of picture of a 64.5 San Jose belt label:
1964.5 260
Body:   76A   
Color:   M   
Trim:    89   
Date:   30G   
D.S.O:  75   
Axle:    1   
Trans:    6

Offline suskeenwiske

• 214-347-3628
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:03:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for sharing, seat belts cause me a lot of confusion. Were different designs used? The attached, I've been told, was also standard for 1965, very different from what I have.
Ray
1965 Dearborn Coupe
6 Cylinder, AT, PB, PS, AC
Est. Build 23A

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 03:22:33 PM »
Yes, You're right, there is confusion.  There are people that say those are standard belts, but I believe that they are Deluxe belts since they utilize the "deluxe" type Male belt.  As far as I know, The standard Plastic Buckeled belts that we all know and love were offered from day 1, but I cannot confirm or deny this, though I am still looking.  I'd like to hear from Jeff and Charles on what they have to say about this one since quite a few questions have been raised about the 1965 Year belts.

Tony K.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:24:28 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001

Offline C5ZZ

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
The most common belt has the plastic cover and was used on 65-67.

64 1/2 style belts are like the ones pictured, they were all metal buckles,
anyone know why some were color keyed to the interior and some were not?
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline NEFaurora

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 12:59:26 PM »
In my belt pile of parts... The earliest date that I could find for the Plastic Buckled "Robbins Jr." type standard belt is 7-64....July 1964.

Anyone have a Standard Plastic buckled belt dated earlier than 7-64 ????????

Also, Steve,

I "think" that the colored keyed early metal belts were factory installed, and the SnakeSkin or Engine Turned styled type Chromed belts were Dealer installed Over the counter "Rotunda" belts.

Again, I would like to see some detailed pictures of what are considered 1965 "Deluxe" seat belts.   I would like to do some comparisons.  Anyone have pics of some 1965 "Deluxe" type seatbelts???? Please post!

Great discussion!  I'm loving it!

:o)

Tony K.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:05:53 PM by NEFaurora »
MCA#70001