Author Topic: window winder handles early 68  (Read 1489 times)

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
window winder handles early 68
« on: July 13, 2013, 08:43:06 PM »
I heard a rumour that early 68 cars may have carried over 67 window winder handles. is this true? if so when did they switch over and was this all plants?

from memory, I had 68 style in the back of my car, and only one handle in the front, which possible could have been a 67 style. any help would be appreciated.

my friends car has just had the doors repainted and I picked his winder, until someone dropped this rumour. he said the switch wasa similar time to dropping the 289?
San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline tim_morrison82

Re: window winder handles early 68
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:46:13 PM »
i'll try and check part nimbers on my regulator too as 67 and 68 were slightly different, maybe that will help answer my question, at least for my car.
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Offline DTruitt

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
I don't believe this to be true; many of the changes between 1967 and 1968 were a direct result of Federal regulations. ie. steering column, inside door handles, side marker lights / reflectors.  The window regulators differ between 1967 and 1968.  It is more likely that someone replaced a window regulator in a 1968 with a 1967 regulator and then discovered the window crank handle would not fit!

Danny
1968 Raven Black, S- Code, 4 spd., GT Fastback, San Jose, March 1968
1968 Candy Apple Red, J- Code, C-4, GT Convertable, San Jose, April 1968 (SOLD)
1968 Raven Black, R- Code, 4 spd., GT Coupe, Dearborn, April 1968
MCA Gold Card Judge

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
I don't believe this to be true; many of the changes between 1967 and 1968 were a direct result of Federal regulations. ie. steering column, inside door handles, side marker lights / reflectors.  The window regulators differ between 1967 and 1968.  It is more likely that someone replaced a window regulator in a 1968 with a 1967 regulator and then discovered the window crank handle would not fit!

Danny
+1 Marty

Offline tim_morrison82

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:50:47 PM »
thats exactly what I thought, but I have been wrong to not question these things before. the only extra safety things that changed along the way as far as I knew were the dropping of pillar pads and knee pads of the dash. all the handles should be year specific designed for the regulations of that year.

cheers guys

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 10:18:36 AM »
thats exactly what I thought, but I have been wrong to not question these things before. the only extra safety things that changed along the way as far as I knew were the dropping of pillar pads and knee pads of the dash. all the handles should be year specific designed for the regulations of that year.

cheers guys
Pillar pads, lower dash pad, rear fold down seat chrome where dropped because of cost cutting, not safety. All 68 mandated safety items, ie: marker light, door handles, collapsible column had to be in place at the start of the model year
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America