Author Topic: 1969 S-code Emissions System  (Read 1214 times)

Offline Billviper

1969 S-code Emissions System
« on: July 09, 2013, 05:36:58 PM »
Hey guys.  I am trying to solve a mystery and need some help.  I have a NJ built 1969 Mach 1 with a 390, wide-ratio 4 speed, and no a/c.  The car was built in NJ for DSO Virginia.  To the best of all of my research, I think the car emission equipment should be PCV and IMCO. 

The 1969 Ford Shop manual, on page 08-06-03 says, "The 390 uses the Imco exhaust emission control system while the 428 4-V engine uses the Thermactor exhaust emission control system to keep exhaust gas contaminents at an acceptable level."

I have been told by several people that the car has to have the thermactor to be correct, and other people have said no.  So please help me hash this out so I can get this thing right!

One more question, does a non-shaker, non a/c, hood-pin 390 car have a hood insulating blanket?

Thanks,
Bill Wilkerson Jr.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 S-code Emissions System
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:41 PM »
Hi Bill

Don't believe your car would have had Thermactor (69 390 with 4 speed)  just the IMCO (ported vacuum switch  and related hoses) and the PVC
Engines and federal requirements were different in 69 that in 68 (a 68 equipped that way would have had a Thermactor system)

Need to look at some stuff to faithfully answer the hood blanket/insulator part of the question
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1969 S-code Emissions System
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 01:54:47 AM »
Checked some original (low mileage) 69 Machs equipped similar (no ac no ram air) to you and they didn't come with the hood insulators like the Grande's did for some reason'

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)