Author Topic: 70 Dual exhaust  (Read 2117 times)

Offline 70Mach

70 Dual exhaust
« on: June 24, 2013, 12:40:51 PM »
For dual exhaust cars: Did the 70's have the reinforcement in the rear seat area?  And did 70's use the bracket with studs or did they use self tapping bolts?  Thanks,
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline 70Mach

Re: 70 Dual exhaust
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »
Pictures of a 70 351C 4V dual exhaust hangers mounted to car? Thanks!
'70 Mach 1, Metuchen, 351C, 4 bbl, auto, a/c, PDB, PS, shaker, white stripe, Dark Ivy Green w/black int.  '67 Mustang, San Jose, convertible 390, 4 speed, console, rear grill, Nightmist blue, standard blue interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:40:32 PM »
Pictures of a 70 351C 4V dual exhaust hangers mounted to car? Thanks!

Should mount the same way as a Boss or 428 CJ car (all dual exhaust 70 cars)

Hangers and mounting/attachment points

Close up of the mounting hardware

Mounting holes left side - hardware in place right side

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70Mach

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »
Thanks! So are the fasteners self tapping bolts or screws or was there a nut on the back side?  My car was torn apart and the holes that were in the floor looked like they were punched through and didn't have anything on the inside.  So that's why I'm trying to figure out what it supposed to be like. 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
Thanks! So are the fasteners self tapping bolts or screws or was there a nut on the back side?  My car was torn apart and the holes that were in the floor looked like they were punched through and didn't have anything on the inside.  So that's why I'm trying to figure out what it supposed to be like.

Never owned or built a 70 with dual exhaust (well not enough to tear it all the way down Believe though that the mounting bolts thread into a reinforcement plate on the top - not screws
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:16:25 AM »
According to the 1970 Mustang Chassis Manual, you really need to invest in a set, the bolt is 381877-S2 (5/16-18X3/4 hex, washer, forming, lead point) which is a commonly used bolt for exhaust, brake and fuel line retention from 1968 into 1973, no nut required. Looking at the 1970 Weld and Sealant, I could not find a reinforcing plate, aka doubler, on the drawings. That may mean that it was pre-assembled by the supplier and not an assembly line step.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.