Author Topic: 65 "A" Code with Automatic Trans - Idling Issue while in Drive  (Read 1049 times)

Offline rocket289k

Hi everyone,

I've run into a very strange issue that I haven't experienced before.  My car is an "A" code 289 with an automatic transmission.  The engine is completely rebuilt, the wiring / electrical system is brand new.  The engine idles just fine with no load however once you put the car into drive the engine runs very rough and threatens to stall or does in fact stall.  The carburetor is completely rebuilt (by Pony before Jon passed away).  There is nothing about the engine or electrical system that isn't brand new.

I was running a Pertronix Ignitor II and have now switched back to points (that seemed to help a bit strangely).  But the problem still persists.  Any thoughts?

PS - I do have a factory Rally Pac hooked up to the car. I have heard of issues with a Pertronix II (not the Pertronix I) with a factory Rally Pac.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 "A" Code with Automatic Trans - Idling Issue while in Drive
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:26 PM »
Have you tried bumping up the idle?  What rpm is idle set at now with the car in neutral?
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:59:43 PM »
Ron,
  Charles is correct, increase the idle to at least 800 rpm in neutral. The RPM will drop in gear. Use an external test tach, do not use the Rally Pac tach to set the idle. Your trouble shooting technique missed removing the tach from the circuit before sticking the points back in.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
RESOLUTION - The Pertronix II I had installed had a problem.  Even applying a direct feed of current from the battery to the Pertronix didn't solve anything.  I installed a new set of points and the car runs great.

Thanks for the input guys.

Regards,

Ron
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open