Author Topic: Window Regulator and track plastic rollers  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Angela

Window Regulator and track plastic rollers
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »
How have you guys replaced the plastic rollers within the door glass mechanism, both on the scissors as well as at the base of the door glass channel? Replacement plastic rollers appear to be available, yet since they're held on with a rivet or pin, it's not clear to me how the new roller can be attached. Any recommendations? Tips? Comments? Lessons learned?

Offline Angela

Re: Window Regulator and track plastic rollers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »
Here's a pic of each of the two different types of plastic rollers I would like to replace, as well as one of the new rollers and pins. How is the new pin installed?

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:34:04 PM »
It looks like they are pressed in. Unless you have a 5 or 10 ton press handy, I would suggest you contact a local machine shop. You would be surprised the assistance you get when you ask for help.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Angela

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
OK, thanks, I was afraid of that.... I figured some kind of large press might be required and I don't have access to one.
What about some sort of shoulder bolt instead of the rivet? So far I haven't found a bolt that would work but it seems possible, right?

Also, does anyone have a source for the larger rollers that exist on the track that holds the glass? I cannot find a source for those rollers and mine are hopelessly shot. 

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:12:35 PM »
It is way easier just to move your glass (if it is good) to a new frame, I think I have enough to about 15 cars and can not hardly give them away at swap meets.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »
hardly need a 5-10 ton press. I do them on an anvil with a peening driver and hammer
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
I agree, using my bench vise, I tried compressing one of the new pins that comes with the small plastic roller kit and the vise was able to crush the pin without a problem. However, I don't know what to use to properly "peen" the end of the pin over so that it rolls over like the factory install.

Further, I still cannot find a source for the larger plastic rollers and pins that are pinned to the channel which holds the glass.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:15:52 PM »
For what it's worth...on another forum for 71-73 Mustangs, one individual found shower door rollers at Home Depot worked well for window rollers.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 12:38:45 AM »
I don't know what to use to properly "peen" the end of the pin over so that it rolls over like the factory install.
That could be obtained with the bottom half of a tubular rivet die set. Now, about that 5 ton press vs a hammer -  ;)
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.