Author Topic: Pictures of seam sealer before sound deadener? Oct 64 Dearborn  (Read 3315 times)

Offline jtfx6552

I've found lots of great pictures of restored cars with sound deadener already applied over the seam sealer. Anyone have any picture of where the seam sealer goes exactly before the sound deadener is applied (which makes it hard to see exactly where the seam sealer goes.

I have the Osbourne book, but the darn illustrations are so small I can't see which seams exactly have seam sealer and which ones don't.

I am mostly interested in the ones visible when the car is assembled, in the front wheel wheels, and on the bottom  of the car.

Car is an Oct 64 assembled Dearborn car if that matters.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 05:17:48 PM by J_Speegle »
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Pictures of seam sealer before sound deadener?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:57:07 PM »
|Looking at my collection of pictures I can offer the following

1- Under the car - nothing before paint and of course no sound deadener was applied to the floor area

2- Front wheel well before sound deadener for your plant and time period, appears to be at the inner fender seam to outside frame rail. Up the inner fender to firewall/ wheel well section and down to the frame seam as shown in the pictures -= arrows. Sound deadener was not applied to the car was completed (fenders on, splash shields in place ......) minus the front wheels and tires

3- Rear wheel wells. No seam sealer except for a couple of piles of chalking where the inner and outer wheel house come together at the lower ends front and rear. Then sound deadener (with overspray onto the frame and floor outside of the frame. Don't know (have nothing in pictures) if Dearborn ran a ribbon around the outer wheel housing just inside the lip like other plants.

All of the chalking was applied by gun that smeared, wiped or smoothed with a rag dipped in thinner. I use a 1/2" brush with all but 1/4" of the bristles cut off dipped in thinner.

Glad you asked since the assembly manual does a poor job IMHO of where they applied sealers, paints, sound deadener when compared what the workers really did  ;)

Remember when looking at pictures here and elsewhere stay focused on 65 Dearborn only and from your cars build period
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:58:41 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »
Thanks Jeff! Just the information I am looking for. Am i correct that there is also a bead of seam sealer on the underside of the floor where it meats the inner rocker?
1965 Mustang Fastback, October 29, 1964 Dearborn Build, In the family since new.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff! Just the information I am looking for. Am i correct that there is also a bead of seam sealer on the underside of the floor where it meats the inner rocker?

Bead or smoothed out/wiped with a solvent rag along the rocker to floor seam after paint it appears - at least after floor color but no sound deadener in the area so didn't mention it
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:53:41 AM »
Is there any on the outside of the car at the joint between the wheelhouse and the trunk floor? Or only on the inside?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 03:10:14 PM »
Is there any on the outside of the car at the joint between the wheelhouse and the trunk floor? Or only on the inside?

By outside I'm guessing you mean under the car between the rear frame rail and the wheel housing. Nope that seam is addressed in the trunk as well as other floor to side trunk panels, taillight panel to rear cross member and corners of the gas tank opening to name a couple. How those are sealed depends on year, month and plant like so many things
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:51 AM »
Following the suggestion to ask here, would this vintage car have seem sealer around the seat belt bolt backing plates?

Further, anyone know of any archive pictures of 65 "survivor" cars online? I think I've seen articles about a few in various mustang mags and their online counterparts, but never with any nice large pictures like Dudley puts up.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:32:23 AM »
Following the suggestion to ask here, would this vintage car have seem sealer around the seat belt bolt backing plates?

In general (you never provided when your car was built) no not at Dearborn in 65
Jeff Speegle

Offline jtfx6552

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
Thanks Jeff!

In the first post i did say it was built Oct 64  :) . If you meant the day, the code is the 29th although I know that supposedly they code have been built a few days before or after the date on the tag..