Author Topic: 65 heater box rebuild  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Chris

65 heater box rebuild
« on: February 13, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
Original heater box for June 64, 260V8 car.

I'm rebuilding my heater box for the first time this weekend. It's not been heating so I'm pulling everything out, putting in a new core and motor, cleaning the box, and putting on new seals.

What should I paint on the heater box, if anything? I've seen the housing for the blower motor painted semi-flat black and everything else left unpainted. I don't have a blast cabinet so I will just be claening the heater box by hand.

I'm following the disassembly instructions at this link:http://www.cjponyparts.com/mustang-heater-rebuild-kit-1965-1966-installation-instructions/a/311/

64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 65 heater box rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:41 PM »
originally the box was unpainted. i have used a dull clear in places to improve looks.
5F09C331248

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:51:39 PM »
I used this article when restoring my heater box. Although it's for a Falcon I believe the heater box is the same.

http://www.joesfalcon.com/address.html

Hope this helps,
Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 04:26:01 PM »
If you bead blast, wire brush or scrape the inside metal parts - PAINT THEM, but don't tell anyone. The metal interior is 50 years old and probably very rusty. Removal of rust also takes away a surface material called the "patina". Moisture will enter thru the cowl in normal operations and really rust everything away if it unprotected. Do not use primer, moisture will penetrate primer. As for the exterior, I use a semi-gloss clear (Eastwood Diamond Spray) very lightly. The brackets are semi-gloss black but clean the rivets and mask with 5/16-3/8 "dots" made from masking tape.
Check out the Library, 64-66 section, for a detailed motor how-to.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:32 AM »
Think there are at least two threads posted earlier here related to members efforts and success with the early heaters ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 02:55:50 PM »
Think there are at least two threads posted earlier here related to members efforts and success with the early heaters ;)

Yep, it's nice to now have a good knowledge base to search!  :-)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin