Author Topic: 1966 Thermactor Air Injection  (Read 3193 times)

Offline koski19

1966 Thermactor Air Injection
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:19 AM »
I have a 66 Coupe with a DSO for Los Angeles. I bought the car in New Mexico and that's where it has been for the past 14 years.
As I inventoried and cataloged parts it dawned on me that this engine should of had the smog pump....right?
Well, it doesn't. If I want to restore to factory I would need to find this smog setup and install. Since this coupe will be registered and
licensed in Nevada the question is do I install the system or not? What do you guys think?

Jeff

Offline NEFaurora

Re: 1966 Thermactor Air Injection
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »

It really depends on what kind of restoration it is... If it's a CONCOURS restoration, then yes, You will need all of those Thermactor parts.  But before you do that, Take a look at the heads on the engine to see if your even have the original head and engine block.  Thermactor heads actually had extra holes on the heads for the air pump setup which was garbage to begin with from day 1.. but if you are going to enter the car in serious concours judging, You will have to obtain the parts.  If the car is just a mild restoration, with everything else original, but the Thermator parts, then forget all the Thermactor equipment.  It surely will not help the car run better, that is why most of those setups got tossed in the trash from Day 1.

It really depends what you want to do and how far you want to go..
Tony Kovar (NEFaurora@aol.com)
1965 Mustang Convertible 200 cid 3spd manual
1966 Mustang Convertible Sprint 200 C4 Auto
2007 Mustang Convertible V6 Auto with "Pony Package".
1966 Mustang Sprint 200 Registry Owner/Moderator
MCA#70001

Offline koski19

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll leave it off. The extra expense isn't warranted at this time.....

Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:47:11 PM »
A couple of questions first -

Has someone changed out the alternator mount (guessing this is a V8) ?

Is the pump all your missing??

If the alternator mount is there then there will always be a hole not filled by the pump - sort of stands out ;)

If your missing only the pump then finding and adding it is not that big of a deal.

If you don't add the system back its not restored nor are you going to do very well in a judged event as NEFaurora mentioned.

Good luck with your choices

Might want to check what your current laws are concerning emissions if your driving the car also.  Every state is different right now
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline koski19

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:11:09 AM »
Hi Jeff...Thanks for the heads up on my last post...Something happened from my brain to my fingers.....LOL
This car was never a V8 model. (wish it was) I'm missing the complete thermactor assy. That would mean the cylinder head, pump assy, check valve, and all the hoses, brackets etc.
I was under the impression that the 1967 year models were the first to come out with the smog pump. Since this car was slated for California with a DSO for Los Angeles then it should have the thermactor system. Here's the VIN#6R07T238699 and DSO=Los Angeles. Here are the casting numbers for the engine, head and exhaust:
Engine Block: C6DA-6015-B
Engine Date Stamp: 5J9H
Exhaust Manifold: C3DE-9430-A
Intake/Cylinder Head: C6DE-6090-B

Haven't considered entering the car into any judging events, although the thought has crossed my mind. My plans are to restore it back to look like when it came off the New Jersey assembly line. I think, but not sure this car is not required to be smogged here in Reno because of it's age. Not absolutely sure on this and need to inquire.

Jeff

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 05:37:45 PM »
Hi Jeff...Thanks for the heads up on my last post...Something happened from my brain to my fingers.....LOL
This car was never a V8 model. (wish it was) I'm missing the complete thermactor assy. That would mean the cylinder head, pump assy, check valve, and all the hoses, brackets etc.

I was under the impression that the 1967 year models were the first to come out with the smog pump. Since this car was slated for California with a DSO for Los Angeles then it should have the thermactor system.

No in California it started in 66 except for K code engines that year.

Here's the VIN#6R07T238699 and DSO=Los Angeles. Here are the casting numbers for the engine, head and exhaust:
Haven't considered entering the car into any judging events, although the thought has crossed my mind. My plans are to restore it back to look like when it came off the New Jersey assembly line. I think, but not sure this car is not required to be smogged here in Reno because of it's age. Not absolutely sure on this and need to inquire.

Think you meant the San Jose line not NJ ;)

It's not always about if the car is required to be smogged by the state but if your required to have the equipment.  For example of you live in Calif there is no annual or biannual test but the law does not state that its legal to remove or operate the vehicle without the original equipment. Its unlikely but if you get picked up in a test area (roadside sniffers or emission random tests)  you will be required to go to a station, have the test and be fined if your not in compliance
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:29:24 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline koski19

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »

No in California it started in 66 except for K code engines that year.

Here's the VIN#6R07T238699 and DSO=Los Angeles. Here are the casting numbers for the engine, head and exhaust:

Think you meant the San Jose line not NJ ;)

It's not always about if the car is required to be smogged by the state but if your required to have the equipment.  For example of you live in Calif there is no annual or biannual test but the law does not state that its legal to remove or operate the vehicle without the original equipment. Its unlikely but if you get picked up in a test area (roadside sniffers or emission random tests)  you will be required to go to a station, have the test and be fined if your not in compliance

Hi Jeff,
This I didn't understand: Think you meant the San Jose line not NJ ;).....When I ran the data plate decoder at 66mustang.com the assembly plant was Metuchen with a code 71 for the DSO....

here's my data plate info:
6T07T238699

65A Z 26 26G 71 2 6

Are you the saying my coupe came from the San Jose Plant?

Jeff

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
You stated originally the VIN was 6R07Txxxxx, then your last post it was 6T07T...the second digit R stands for San Jose and T is New Jersey. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 02:28:15 AM »
You stated originally the VIN was 6R07Txxxxx, then your last post it was 6T07T...the second digit R stands for San Jose and T is New Jersey.

+1

Might want to double check the VIN again IMHO it would be really odd to have a NJ car shipped and built for Calif.  Have seen a fair number of 66 Dearborn thermactor cars but can't recall a NJ one 
Jeff Speegle

Offline koski19

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
WOW....you got me to looking too......I just went back to the title and it's 6R07T238699. Now I need to go back and check the fender and data plate on the door.....Thanks for catching that......Sure don't know where that "T" came from. Probably fat fingered a key on the keyboard.

Jeff