Author Topic: Steel line from exhaust manifold to carburetor?  (Read 5510 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Steel line from exhaust manifold to carburetor?
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:33:44 PM »
First off, I can't find the original thread where I found this picture, but I think it might've been posted by rodster?  If so, hope you don't mind me using your picture.

In this picture, I know the insulated tube from the top of the exhaust manifold to the carburetor operates the choke stove.  However, how did it originally attach to the manifold?  Did it screw in place?  If not, then I'm afraid I might have something broken off on my original RH manifold. 

Secondly, what does the smaller steel line running from the bottom of the manifold up to the carburetor do, and did all cars use it?  And is the smaller line clipped to the larger line with something like a transmission cooler line clip?  That's what it looks like.  Is this smaller line currently reproduced?

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Jays66gt

Re: Steel line from exhaust manifold to carburetor?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »
The fitting on my 66 San Jose car is a press fitting into the exhaust manifold. Nothing more.

I do not have the second line. Only the one for the choke stove. No help there, sorry.

I bought mine from Mustangs Unlimited and it came with both lines, the insulation, and the clip.
1966 GT
6R07A105XXX
San Jose car delivered to Denver in September 1965.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
Both lines are pressed into the choke stove the one to the carb is the heat in line the other is fresh filtered air from the top of the carb.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
most mustang vendors carry the 'choke tube set. it takes both tubes to make the circulation pattern. both tubes are just pressed into the manifold. they are commonly found broken off & can be easily drilled out. there is an 's' clip to hold them together, comes in the kit. excellent pics & description in the shop manual.
5F09C331248

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:03:13 AM »
Use a 1/4 inch drill to clear the two holes and blow any chips out after you've drilled. Slightly deform the ends of the replacement tubes if necessary to get a tight fit. While you are at it, replace the bottom fitting and screen filter, that takes care of one tube. It takes a torch to get the fitting out.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline rocket289k

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:17:07 PM »
+1 on Carlite65's comments.  I posted the pciture of my engine as part of the thread on "Exhaust Manifold Coating" to show an example of a ceramic coating on the exhaust manifolds (no issues about reusing).  You'll have to apply quite a bit of heat to loosen up the filter canister (where the bottom steel line attaches to the base of the exhaust manifold).

Regards,

Ron
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:23:40 PM by rocket289k »
1965 "A" Code 289 Mustang GT - Planned Build Date July 19 / Bucked July 21 Metuchen / Factory AC & PS / C4 Auto / 3.00 open

Offline Carbontooters1

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 12:03:05 PM »
You can purchase a new choke tube set from Classic Tube in Rochester New York. They do have a website.