Author Topic: 69 SportsRoof under carriage paint help  (Read 1403 times)

Offline ossablt

69 SportsRoof under carriage paint help
« on: April 18, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of the under carriage, interior & trunk for a May 20 San Jose built 69? When I bought the car it had already been disassembled & blasted. The only evidence remaining was black paint under the fuel line and shock tower supports and red under the tube crossmember and behind the dash. I would like to repaint as close to original as possible, overspray included. I also have no record of any paint marks, is there any plant markings that the car would have most likely had?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 SportsRoof under carriage paint help
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:42:17 PM »
First welcome to the site

I think your WAY ahead of yourself worrying about paint marks and the like at this point. Lots of work to do before that ;)

We cant be sure of what the exact floor color would have been (should have looked and documented BEFORE you started blasting :(

So a guess based on other cars around your car, will be as close and you can get at this point unfortunately

For your plant and time period we would expect that from the firewall forward the frame rails, suspension points and front cross member would have been painted by hand with a red oxide epoxy primer sealer. From the firewall rearward with a batch color (a dark gray epoxy primer sealer with left over body color) that typically had some metallic in it and a slight blue tint.

The floor batch color would have stopped approx 3-4 inches before the rear cross member leaving those surfaces to rust quickly. Cross member was galvanized to reduce the rust.

Before any of this takes place on your car make sure that you construct some dolly tools and install them AFTER you have reproduced the galvanized surfaces of the floor rails.

Easiest way to communicate all the details is to send me an email directly and I'll send you a file and pictures...... too much writing to do it all again

There are rules though :)  but I'll explain ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
Jeff - I didn't know about the batch color on a San Jose car.  Mine sure got a good coating of body color a long way in though, as you can see where the seat access plug has been removed (red car, obviously).

Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
Jeff - I didn't know about the batch color on a San Jose car.  Mine sure got a good coating of body color a long way in though, as you can see where the seat access plug has been removed (red car, obviously).

Yep typical for 69-up But of course allot of people just assumed that all the other years used a version of red oxide why would they change ;)

As for overspray I think if we could go back and watch a car being sprayed we would see allot more overspray under the car than we see today on restored cars. Old guns and pressures put out allot more than the HVLP guns of today....and as we clean off the floors of these cars to get an idea of what was there I would guess that we remove up to 50% of the overspray that was there with the grim, grease and other things as we clean :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 09:17:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)