Author Topic: Drivers side horn wiring  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Drivers side horn wiring
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:27:08 AM »

Posting some pictures from the cars I have on what I see as original wire harness sections that goes to the Hi horn on the drivers side.  Oil cooler cars would still have the same harness in place, but the horn moved.  Is this the same covering that everyone else has seen on original cars?  I know the current reproduction wire harness does not have any covering on these two wires at all.  Have heard some people believe these wires would have been painted but I have not found anything like that. 

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Drivers side horn wiring
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:42 PM »
Looking at Dearborn 69 only so far - yes

Passenger side example
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
In addition can see Ford wanting to black them out (they did that for a period in 65) but never heard nor seen them done in the later years.... maybe a migrating detail :(    would not be the first time. Appears that Ford instead just had the subcontractors wrap the wire so the colored wire would not be seen through the grill opening. They must have used 100's of subcontractors making these wire looms in garages and repair shops across the country. Recall finding a garage/service station out in  the middle of the desert in the early 70's that was making power seat wire looms for Lincoln on a small four foot wood and metal loom when we stopped (passing through) to get gas. Never would have imagined that's how they were getting stuff built for the assembly plants

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  So this is what I have seen as well.  And just to be clear the covering on the passenger side Lo horn is different style from everything I have seen which is what you show in your picture.
Marcus Anghel

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »
" Oil cooler cars would still have the same harness in place, but the horn moved. "   The harness on my car does not have the left/drivers side horn harness connected to the radiator support.  The entire light/horn harness, wrapped in electrical tape, travels to the right/passenger side.  The SCJ horn harness is encased, not wrapped, and travels up the radiator support to the horn locations.  Am I reading that correctly and SCJ cars should have a unused horn harness connected to the radiator support ?  Thanks,  Brian
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:28:44 PM by Brian Conway »
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:59 PM »
I walked my wrecking yard and can confirm that the tape on the driver side, and a rubber tube on the passenger side is consistent with Dearborn and San Jose (at least until Nov '68) 1969 Mercury Cougars too.
Trivia, 1969 Cougar standard models used the same dash to headlamp harness as 1969 Mustang with tachometer. C9ZZ-14290-R.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:41:29 AM »
Brian....yes, what I see most common is that the wire harness on the drivers side is in place and just the horns are moved.  You for sure have the same engine compartment harness so you should have somewhere the wire for the drivers side horn.  It should not be cut or missing and would not be rerouted to the passenger side.  I have also read that for some cars the drivers side wire harness may have been taped and placed out of the way behind the oil cooler.
Marcus Anghel

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
Thank you for the reply and directions on where to look.  After looking a little closer the ' lump ' in the wrapped harness on the drivers side appears to be the left side horn plug.  No longer a' future gold card judge ' I am guessing congrads are in order ?  Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:47:23 AM »
Thanks Brian....I actually never planned on going into the MCA judging but it fits well with what I am doing right now plus its easy for me to travel to most of the shows. 
Marcus Anghel

Offline specialed

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 10:39:37 AM »
If you look at assembly manuals 69&70 youwill see after a date a change in horn mounting & lh horn wire routing with oil cooler cars.  If you look behind oil cooler later 69s you will see 2 dimples where 2 screws holding 2 plastic wire holders goes for routing lh horn wire on top lower rad support. Have cars like this but not all were done that way as it took more time on assembly like & may depend on worker that day.