Author Topic: Plating recommendation for Sail panel vent inserts?  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Angela

Plating recommendation for Sail panel vent inserts?
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:13:58 PM »
I haven't had much luck with re-chroming of pot-metal or cast pieces. Can anyone recommend a good plater for the interior fastback sail panel vent inserts? I believe these pieces can be removed from the fiberglass panels, re-chromed, then re-painted black inbetween the fins and reinstalled into the fiberglass. However, I'd really appreciate some advice on a good place to have them chromed. Thanks!

Offline Angela

Re: Plating recommendation for Sail panel vent inserts?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 04:41:24 PM »
What are these things made out of? I cannot tell if they're pot-metal or some kind of cast Aluminum pieces.

I ask because I've had such terrible luck re-chroming that I wonder if they can be sanded down (gently, using perhaps 600 & 1000 grit), polished and clear coated to keep them from oxidizing?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »
Not sure if I know anyone that has been able to get these done nicely. Believe they are pot metal so you get the blow outs (like bubbles and the design does not allow allot of room for the platers to get in there to fill and smooth them.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline roddster

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »
Buy a Hemmings Motor News and look for a place in Pennsylvannia.  I can't remember the name but it is a popular place, large size add.  You can ship your parts there for a quote.  If you like the quote, they will proceed.  If not, they will ship your stuff back. 
  Chroming:  Takes time and is expensive, so, get ready.

Offline Angela

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Agreed; re-chroming is a major pain in the rear. I've had horrible luck having pot-metal parts re-chromed.... takes a long time, costs three arms and four legs and the end result usually looks far less than perfect.
I have two questions:
(1) Even if I go ahead and send the pot-metal sail panel vent moldings out for re-chrome, how do you guys re-attach them to the interior fiberglass panels? To remove them I have to grind off the "squashed" head of the eight mounting pins. I've tried to drill & tap 8-32 screw threads into the moldings so that I could re-attach using 8-32 screws.... but this never works (for me) because there isn't sufficient material thickness. I cannot think of a glue or adhesive I'd trust to hold them in place, especially since the moldings are so heavy.

(2) For those who haven't had these replated (chrome), what have you tried to make them look better? I'm sure I could sand, steel wool and polish them to death.... but am not sure whether or not a coat of clear paint will keep them looking shiny.

I know these parts are available in repro... but I just cringe at the thought of going that route.... and I think (but do not know for sure) the repros are plastic.

Offline e093116

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »
My experience is on a 65, but your parts are probably similar...I found that the chrome on pot metal original parts is hard and thick compared to reproduction pieces, so you can be fairly aggressive.  I had good luck buffing with a soft cotton wheel on an 1800 rpm pedestal buffer.

Masking these pieces for paint was a real chore.  Using some thin width masking tape (1/4", 3/8", etc.) made the masking faster and end result better.

I reattached with 3M panel bonding adhesive.

2 years later and so far, so good.
65 San Jose Fastback, May 15 build date