Author Topic: NPD or Drake "Ford Tooling" Front Valance: Any good?  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Angela

NPD or Drake "Ford Tooling" Front Valance: Any good?
« on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
Can anyone comment on the quality and fit of the "Ford Tooling" 1967 front valance steel body panels available from either NPD or Scott Drake??? Are they *really* being cranked out of old, original ford tools? Do they look and fit just like the originals? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

Offline 69bossnine

Re: NPD or Drake "Ford Tooling" Front Valance: Any good?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 10:54:12 AM »
Are they *really* being cranked out of old, original ford tools?

Yes, original Ford tooling means just that.. We'd get in quite a bit of trouble with Ford is we made that claim untruthfully... They are produced by Ford O.E. supplier Gerstenslager (now called Arti-flex) in Wooster, OH.

Do they look and fit just like the originals? Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

"Look like"?? 100% yes, it's the original tooling. "Fit like"?? More-or-less yes... But you must understand that ANY out-of-the-box metal panel may require some measure of work and adjustments for best-fit. It's as good a fit as you're going to find, you should be more than satisfied with it (especially for the price), but no service panels just fall onto a car with Bentley-like seams and gaps. Furthermore, the fit of a valance is very much dependent upon the proper allignment of the rest of the front end metal, and whether or not the front end metal is original or repro, and whether or not the car's ever been tweaked/hit in the past.

Rick
NPD
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:57:36 AM by 69bossnine »

Online CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »
Thanks for the very informative post Rick!  :)
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:54:39 AM »
Many years back I got a rear valence (66 GT w backup lights) made from Ford tooling from NPD but never used it in the way it was intended. It became a pattern where I used it to cut back-up lights holes in a valence where there were none and the exhaust openings used on GT car in another valence where the same no holes situations existed. The valence is finally being used on a 66 hardtop where the owner wanted the GT style holes but his original was mangled beyond use. It fit very well. I know NPD didn't make it, but I also know they stand behind the products the sell. Feedback is good.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.