Author Topic: Data Plate Decode Question  (Read 838 times)

Offline hopeto

Data Plate Decode Question
« on: September 30, 2013, 09:03:50 PM »
I've run across a 66 that I may be able to buy. On the door data plate there is no paint code and under the DSO it has 613772.
When I put that # into a decoder it comes back as Dallas (Special Order Unit 3772).
Any insight into this 6 digit type DSO codes?
Original one owner 84 GT Convertible with 1800 miles. 65 Silver Smoke Gray K Code GT Coupe - 65 Cyclone - 67 Vintage Burgundy K Code GT Coupe.  1970 Calypso Corral Boss 302 - 2012 Yellow Blaze Boss 302.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Data Plate Decode Question
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »
no paint code means that it was a special paint car. 61 is the actual dso. it was the 3,772 car out of that district that was special ordered. do some searching here for more info on dso's.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Data Plate Decode Question
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 11:26:48 PM »
The 6 digit DSO suggests that you have a special order car (something on the car was not a regular production item)

The blank paint color code suggests that the car was a special order paint car. The original owner paid extra (not very much ;) to get the car painted a non- factory color. If you do a search you should find other discussions about the subject but basically the dealer/salesman would aim the buyer towards colors applied to other Ford products first then use the color chip book (fleet color book) if the other car line color would not fill the need.

Ford didn't keep records of what the color were for each car so you'll have to find a hidden nice example from the car to discover what color it was (often these cars are repainted a more popular color by PO's

That same number (DSO code) was originally in the upper left hand corner of the order sheet that the dealer used to order the car. Since the vast majority of cars were ordered and built (rather than purchased directly off the lot like today) the hassle of these sorts of special orders were not that big of a deal or problem though they can modify what was standard equipment in some years and models ;)

I've owned about a dozen special paint cars - always fun and interesting. Sold my last one last year to another forum member
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)