Author Topic: Repairing Fastback Interior drain buckets  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Angela

Repairing Fastback Interior drain buckets
« on: January 29, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
I have a question concerning the plastic (perhaps fiberglass reinforced?) "buckets" (inside the car) for fastback upper quarter panel venting, which allow water to drain out through the floor pans.
Has anyone successfully repaired small cracks in that plastic material? I'm not sure what kind of plastic these things are made out of, but nearly every one I come across has one or
more cracks at one or more mounting screw holes. I've simply never had any success trying to glue plastic. However, my local auto parts house claims a 3M product #34240 is absolutely
the best plastic repair glue on the market and supposedly works with almost any semi-rigid type of plastic. Has anyone used 3M 34240? I ask because the stuff is very expensive....
roughly $50 for a small tube, plus $65 for the dispenser required to apply the glue.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Paint/Application_Systems/Products/Product_Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230079D02R7QH2A20CJ7000000_nid=SZDJLZ0H2HgsNGQGZXQ0C5gl5XNBW5LT99bl

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Repairing Fastback Interior drain buckets
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 12:02:11 PM »
A regular 2-part epoxy that you can find at an auto parts store would be fine.  They will have different kinds of epoxy, sometimes specific to plastic/fiberglass parts.  No need to pay for the high-dollar materials if you're just doing a small repair.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

Re: Repairing Fastback Interior drain buckets
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:50:01 PM »
In the 1967-68 time period, Ford began to use a plastic that had a mold release agent as part of the raw plastic. I know that the process was fully implemented in 1969 as a general two part epoxy would not stick to the console from a 1969 Fastback I was trying to repair. This applied to the plastic covers that went over the rear quarter window pivots, same scenerio, the epoxy would peel off. For comparison, the process for a 65 or 66 console shell used a spray-on mold release, therefor the shells could use a general two part type epoxy for repairs. For my 1969 problems, I went to a plastics store out here on the left coast, TAP Plastics, explained my problem and they made a special on part plastics "stickum" recomendation that worked. That was many years back and the tube was tossed.
My recomendation is to find a local specialty retail plastic business and see if they can help.
Something else to consider, in a moisture environment, marine epoxy should be used in any case, and marine epoxys are usually not carried in an auto parts store.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.