Author Topic: 66 am 8 track and am radio pot shaft lengths same?  (Read 983 times)

Offline 7Lscjracer

66 am 8 track and am radio pot shaft lengths same?
« on: January 10, 2013, 02:29:24 AM »
I'm looking into getting a 66 am 8 track modded for ipod input and high watt output at woodradios.com
It has a RH potentiometer with mangled threads on the shaft.
My question is would one from an am radio be ok for the radio man to substitute?
I just need both pots to be the same length so it looks right with the bezel installed.
I don't know if the knob sets are the same for am 8 track and am only units either.
All the components that attach to the pot are irrelevant, the original electronics will be gutted.
A member here generously let me have it for the cost of shipping, it was all in pieces,  and I really want to bring it back to life in appreciation.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline drummingrocks

Re: 66 am 8 track and am radio pot shaft lengths same?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
If you can wait a few days, I'll be glad to measure the shaft length on my '66 8-track and compare it to the AM radio in my other '66 .
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: 66 am 8 track and am radio pot shaft lengths same?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »
Thanks for looking into it, but I had the unit upside down, so it's actually the left hand.
Also when I put the knobs on it, I see the inner and outer rotate, and the outer also clicks in and out.
I haven't had a 66 with an am radio since the 70's, but I don't recall the click function.
Seems a LH am potentiometer won't do?
I also need the case to dash mounting brace with hardware, a power in and speakers out pigtail, and the mounting hardware for behind the knobs.
Next step is to put together a list of radio repair shops to try for parts.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20